• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help me choose the right plants

steevwatson

Hi
I'm currently trying to set up my new aquarium. It's a fluval roma 90. I have the lights that came with the tank (2 x 15 watt T8 I think) and I'm using a fluval 206 filter. I've never kept plants before other than java fern so I really don't know what to get. I know my lighting isn't the brightest but it's all I have for the moment. I don't have C02 but I probably will add it once i have more money. For now I was planning to use easycarbo. I'm looking to achieve quite a heavily planted natural look if possible.

Thanks
Steve

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at the tropica website just now. When I've chosen my plants would I be best planting them so that my tank is heavily planted from the start or should I plant fewer plants and let them spread out naturally over time?
Thanks
Steve

Thanks. I'll bear that in mind. Are there any plants that would form a carpet in my tank or is the lighting not bright enough? Also I probably should have said that substrate I'm using. I have tropica complete covered with moler clay in the areas I'm going to plant and I have an area of sand at the front for my corrys to root around in.
Thanks
Steve

Hi
. I don't have C02 but I probably will add it once i have more money. For now I was planning to use easycarbo. I'm looking to achieve quite a heavily planted natural look if possible.

Thanks
Steve

Guys please advise Steve properly.. I do not think that you will achieve a heavy planted tank without CO2, at best you will be limited by the plants you choose.

So my advice is:
- good root balls, place in the substrate (osmocote in gel caps are also good)
- crypts, the broader the leave the better, they do well with low tech, and low light, with some easy carbo..
- Ferns, many varieties to choose from, they also grow slowly in a low tech tank (look for sales in the forum, some big ones are sold)
- moss, you can do a nice display with moss

If you got low light and short light hours you can achieve a planted tank with ferns, moss and crypts, but for all the rest you need CO2..

Hi Steve,...welcome to UKAPS. :) :) As Luis mentioned there you will be generally limited with the choices of plants should you decide to go with the non co2 method. But then again,...you can always try some easy to grow plants from the website that Iain has provided you just to try your luck out to see if it might grow for you. There are no hard rules here. We have Alastair & Troi here who managed to grow a lovely foreground carpet with no co2 at all.

IMHO there's no reason why you can't heavily plant them. In fact heavily planting from the get go helps a lot during the initial phase of the tank's life. Some plants that did do well for me in a non co2 set up were:
1)Mini Bolbitis
2)Hygrophila polysperma ( Sunset Hygrophilla)
3)Varieties of anubias ( Like anubias lanceolate, nana, nana petites)
4)Cryptocorynes (You've got loads of varieties here too like cryptocoryne wendtii green, wendtii brown makes a nice focal plant because it looks kind of reddish brown, crypt lucens, crypt parva, etc). Just google up on crypts & there are quite a bit of choices there for you to choose from.
5) Nymphae rubra is another easy non co2 friendly plant. Red color. It usually takes a while to sprout new leaves. Mine took nearly 2 months but it was well worth the wait.:)
6) Echinodorus tenellus,..a lovely foreground plant that's worth trying.
7) Java moss
8) Aglaeonema minima ( i think it's a marsh plant)

Lighting intensity & duration as mentioned by Luis plays a very important role. You cannot overload your plants with these.

Fluval roma 90 is about 90 litres. So with your pair of t8s, you have 0.3 WPG which should be okay ( Clonitza who has lovely non co2 tanks advised me to keep lighting to 0.25 WPG (of T8 lighting) in non co2 tanks & 0.5 WPG ( T8 lighting) in liquid carbon supplemented tanks. So yours appear to be on the high side a little (if you chose to go 100% non co2) but no worries you can always remove the reflectors from your lights. Stick to 3- 3.5 hrs of lighting for the first 1 month. Always watch out for signs of too much light in a non co2 tank like plant melts, thread algaes etc & be quick to reduce the lighting intensity further by raising the light unit if possible. However if you are planning to dose liquid carbon then you are ok at your light level but i am sure you are well aware that the addition of liquid carbon means addition of appropriate levels of fertilizers & more frequent water changes than a non co2 tank would warrant.:). You must also be very consistent in your DAILY liquid carbon dosing or else you might risk facing co2 related plant growth issues.

Substrate plays an important role in a non co2 tank. Soil based substrate are much preferred. I am sure you are well aware of most of them,..if not feel free to fire away & ask as there are loads of people here who are more than happy to help you.

Hope this helped. Take care.

Guys please advise Steve properly.. I do not think that you will achieve a heavy planted tank without CO2, at best you will be limited by the plants you choose.
There are plenty of heavily planted liquid carbon tanks out there that would disagree louis, however the low light will make things very slow so planting heavily trims your wait along with the tank establishing well during the first month or two.

Ian.. Steve is new to this malarkey of growing plants.. Heavy planted tank without CO2 is not easy, and I would think that the first experience needs to be enjoyable as possible.

Low light, easy plants, good substrate, and lots of them.. they will take a while to grow.. Carpets without CO2, for a first time? Maybe moss on rocks.. :)

But hey, try, that is the only way you learn and better yourself.

Me? Crypts, root balls, ferns and moss.. some wood and rocks.. easy stuff to do .. grow that and you learn to prevent algae and when you get to add CO2, more light, and more ferts you will have the basis set.. ;)

For an utterly fool-proof low light tank, use a capped soil substrate (search the forum for further info). I agree with the above so far as Cryptocoryne (wendtii green etc), moss, and ferts are concerned.

Ceraptopteris thalictroides, Hygrophila polysperma, H. corymbosa, H. difformis, H. micranthemoides, Aponogeton crispulata (the list goes on) are all very easy to grow without CO2, with a soil substrate.

For a non-CO2 carpet, Sagittaria subulata can work, but will need longer shoots trimming to maintain low growth. I've also had success with Marsilea hirsuta, although growth was somewhat slow.

Hi
Thanks again for all the replies. I do realise that my choice would be very limited without CO2 and with low lighting. I don't mind if my plants are extremely slow growing as long as they survive. Would adding DIY CO2 be better than using liquid carbon? If I was to use that instead of liquid carbon would it mean I could have more choice of plants?
thanks
Steve

I wouldn't bother with DIY Co2, as you can never get a stable level due to the fluctuations in production from yeast. Soil substrate will provide ample Co2 in a low light tank, while providing the plants will a good rooting medium and nutrients. All of the plants I mentioned above have been grown in this kind of environment. Limnophila sessiflora is another that grows like wildfire, even in low tech.

If you're wanting a wider range of plants, pressurised Co2 is the way to go. In which case, the cheapest methods can be found in these links:
Cheap pressurised CO2 system DIY guide | UK Aquatic Plant Society
Fire extinguisher CO2 | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Thanks guys. After reading your recommendations I think I'll buy some non CO2 friendly plants and move some of my java fern from my shrimp tank into the roma. I'll let these grow on my bogwood and then in a month or 2 I'll add CO2 then a few more plants. Then later when I have some spare cash I'll probably upgrade my lighting. Do you guys think that is the right way to go?

Thanks
Steve

Thanks guys. After reading your recommendations I think I'll buy some non CO2 friendly plants and move some of my java fern from my shrimp tank into the roma. I'll let these grow on my bogwood and then in a month or 2 I'll add CO2 then a few more plants. Then later when I have some spare cash I'll probably upgrade my lighting. Do you guys think that is the right way to go?

Thanks
Steve

Yeah Steve,..i think that sounds like a good plan. Just be sure to watch out for signs of co2 related issues as previously mentioned. If you do come across any then be sure to either raise the lights a bit or if that isn't an option you could always remove one of the T8s & see. Java Fern needs very low light i presume in the absence of co2. If you start seeing some holes in the leaves or melts or browning of the leaves, just remove that particular leaf & cut down the lights. Keep the photoperiod to just 3 hrs initially. There's only one way to go & that's by giving it a trial,...unfortunately.:)

Just my 2 cents,...but make sure you get the hang of the co2 injection techniques first before upgrading the lighting.

Forgive a copy/paste from an earlier thread, but a few plant suggestions...

The following have all done well for me in low tech with zero carbon addition, very infrequent ferts (monthly or even less) and a pond soil and sand substrate -

Microsorum pteropus 'trident', 'mini', 'needle'
Lilleaopsis brasiliensis and mauritania
Eleocharis acicularis
any number of crypt and echinodorus species
Hydrocotyle tripartita and leucocephela (verticillata does OK but doesn't grow much)
Aponogeton crispus
Pellia
various mosses
Bolbitis
Anubias
Cyperus helferi
Blyxa japnoica
Ammania 'bonsai'
Hygrophila pinnitifada
Ceratopsis thalictroides

And thats just what I've tried, I'm sure there are any number of stems that will also do well.

If you want a crack at a compact carpet plant of some sort then I'm currently having some success with Micranthum umbrosum 'Monte Carlo' - staying flat and growing steadily in 3 different tanks, all low tech.

Great list.. yes, those are good plants.. Ceratopsis is a great plant, forgot about that.. and so is Sagitaria Subullata. Sagitaria is a weed.. :)

My advice is spend money first on co2 kit, then on lights.. if you have good lights, and no co2, then you are in serious issues. :)

Thanks again. I'm looking at all the suggestions now. I'll definitely get the CO2 kit then see about upgrading the lights. I wonder how hard it will be to take the lighting unit apart and swapping the starter for a T5. Something to look at for the future. Now I need to start reading up on CO2.
Thanks

Steve

Back