• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help needed please, (possible fungus?) just started again after 3 year break.

Jester

Hello all, I have not been on for some time but I really need some help with this one. If I had any hair I would be pulling it out.
I had been running a 55lr tank fully planted for 4 years with no issues. When Covid came along I had to commit to work in an big way (no stay at home for me unfortunately) and I was unable to carry on with my planted tank. Also need to do some DIY in the room my tank resides so decided to completely strip out until Covid had passed.
Anyway almost 3 years later and I thought I would set up again. The tank and all filter (Eheim ecco pro 2) parts had been cleaned and dried. Bought some JBL aquabasis substrate, new Higo Kamishi gravel, new Eheim substrat pro, ditched the Eheim mech in the bottom basket for sponges, course medium and fine. Then ordered some in vitro plants (Crytocoryne wendti Green and lots of Helanthium tennelum) and set to work starting my new easy 'easy to maintain' tank. All went well, 3 weeks in and the plants were growing well, I had managed to split the crypt into 5 plants from 1 in vitro pot. I had only planted the Tenellum one side at the front as I wanted some pogostemon helfrei ? but could not find any in stock. I got impatient and ordered more Tenellum and planted it in the other front side. 2 more weeks and things were going well still, I had no Algae and even the Crypts were growing new leaves. I also bought some Vallis and Elodea online (not in vitro) because I felt I needed more height at the back.
Then after another week (6weeks from start up) I introduced 6 cherry shrimp, then the next day 8 juvenile Galaxy Rasbora. The next day I noticed a white powdery looking covering on my gravel. I gave it a poke and a strong rotten egg smell (before this event my water had a lovely earthy almost nutty aroma) came to the surface. I did a gravel siphon of all affected areas, replacing 50% of the water as I did this. all seemed fine next 7 hours of light revealed no white stuff. I went to work(nights) came back in the morning to exactly the same ammount of white stuff in the same places. Panicked did gravel siphon and 25% water change. Next morning same thing. Need help as not sure where to go next.
Woke today and did 25% water change without touching gravel (just hovered above) as Nitrite was present?
Please help as I am wishing I had not started up again as my last tank was no problem at all.

More info if needed...
55lr tank. 40cm x 40cm x 40cm.
Jbl aqaubasis pro substrate 25mm to 50mm deep, 45mm Higo Kamishi gravel (black)
Slate hardscape, pressure washed and well scrubbed 2.5 years ago and lay in sun to dry.
heater set to 26 degrees.
Eheim ecco pro 2 filter. tiered sponges (course,med,fine) in bottom basket Eheim substrat pro in top basket followed by fine floss.
water conditioned with Seachem Prime at 3mm on initial start up (Fluval cycle added at start up and directions followed) and 2mm per 15lr bucket during water changes. weekly 25% water changes done (carbon sponge removed from filter after week 2)
Light is a Fluval aquasky 12watt LED on 75% power for 7 hours (started at 6 and gradually increased to 7hours)
Water tested with API master freshwater kit to the best of my ability following instrutions.
Ph is 7.6 from my tap and tested at 7 from tank before water change.
No Ammonia.
No Nitrite before issue but at 0.25 before last water change this morning.
Nitrate at tap is 60 and in tank 10-20 before water change and 40 after testing with recent problems.
Pictures from today.

P1040635.JPG
P1040637.JPG
P1040639.JPG

Thank you in advance for any help, Jes.

Sorry I do not know how this got in the Sticky bit, I am not great with computers, could some one move to below.

Anyone know what I should do? Water changes? Leave it? Complete strip down?
Any help would be great.
Thank you.

Hi all,

Leave it. I don't know what it is (possibly a <"Slime Mould">?) but I'm pretty sure it isn't a problem. The <"came back"> bit is very suggestive of a <"Myxomycota">.

cheers Darrel
Thank you, When I did the gravel clean it looked quite clean but returned in exactly the same places and looks the same as before I cleaned it. I brushed the bottom of the slate whilst hoovering the stuff away and it returned within 12 hours.
It was the sulphur smell that had me worried, I do not want my fish and shrimp to die. They are not avoiding the affected areas and are still going about there business.
Regards, Jes.

Back