• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help needed with my melting aponogeton crispus (pics attached)

rebus

I've got holes appearing in my aponogeton crispus leaves; can anyone point me in the right direction? Is it a nutrient deficiency or a CO2 issue, or could it be something else. Tank is reasonably well established now and the aponogeton has been growing well up until recently. However its now starting to develop this pattern of holes between the leaf veins which gets progressively worse until there's not much left but vein. Tank specs are:

ADA 90P
Ferts EI
Pressurised CO2 injection via an Aquamedic reactor
Lighting TMC Growbeam 600 ultima x 3
Drop checker lime green by lights on

The only thing that has been changed recently is that I don't normally add liquid carbon to the tank but have been spot-dosing for the last couple of weeks for a small BBA outbreak. Does anyone know if aponogeton has adverse reactions to liquid carbon?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Stu.

img0977os.jpg

img0978tm.jpg

img1002ej.jpg

Assuming this is not the result of predation, then it's most likely too much light and not enough CO2. Not sure about the toxicity issue.

Cheers,

Just a thought, but what Plecostomus type fish do you have and what are you feeding them ? Only I had something similar when I added a Peckoltia to a tank that already had Ancistrus in it. I was feeding algae wafers, but the Ancistrus kept the Peckoltia off them and so it eat the plants. The pattern of tissue loss from the plants looked just like this though. Holes started to appear in otherwise healthy looking leaves and got bigger until the leaf was just veins. I've got Aponogetons in my tank at present and dose liquid Carbon without ill effect, so I doubt it is that. Are new leaves still coming up?

Hi all.
The pattern of tissue loss from the plants looked just like this though. Holes started to appear in otherwise healthy looking leaves and got bigger until the leaf was just veins.
It looks like Loricariid damage to me as well. I get it on Echinodorus leaves, and I assume L100 is the culprit.
I've seen skeletonized Amazon Swords in tanks in the LFS with just 100's of Otocinclus in them, so any plec may be capable if it is hungry enough.

cheers Darrel

Assuming this is not the result of predation, then it's most likely too much light and not enough CO2. Not sure about the toxicity issue.

Cheers,
Hi
I think to a certain extent they may be victims of their own success. The growth rate recently has been quite phenomenal with most leaf blades now approaching 4ft long, and as a result are laying on the surface of the water and therefore receiving the full force of the light, although would they not have ready to access to all the CO2 they needed, floating on the surface as they do? I have upped the bubble count over the last week but am now pretty much as high as I can go with it before I start to see issues with the fish. The flow on the tank is already good but I have added a Koralia powerhead just to assist with some additional flow.

Just a thought, but what Plecostomus type fish do you have and what are you feeding them ? Only I had something similar when I added a Peckoltia to a tank that already had Ancistrus in it. I was feeding algae wafers, but the Ancistrus kept the Peckoltia off them and so it eat the plants. The pattern of tissue loss from the plants looked just like this though. Holes started to appear in otherwise healthy looking leaves and got bigger until the leaf was just veins. I've got Aponogetons in my tank at present and dose liquid Carbon without ill effect, so I doubt it is that. Are new leaves still coming up?

Only 6 rather plump, well-fed Otos who get a regular diet of algae wafers and veggie treats and to be honest I've rarely seen them on the aponogetons, although the shrimp do graze on them as they do everything in the tank. There is nothing else in there showing signs of damage/predation, although I will keep an eye on the Otos, see what the tubby little buggers are getting up to. New leaves are still coming up and in fact this week I have had my first flower stem appear - don't know whether that's a good sign or a bad sign?

Many thanks for the help, guys
Stu

Back