• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with algae on plants please

Flapper2k

20180722_115655.jpg 20180722_115533.jpg 20180722_115552.jpg 20180722_115603.jpg 20180722_115611.jpg

Hello all, I'm new to the forum but have been reading alot of the information available to try and assist me with my problem but nothing seems to be removing the algae issue that I'm experiencing.

Would like to thank you in advance for any advice you may have to offer in hopefully getting my tank sorted out.

So firstly my set up is as follows and has been running for around 6 months.

Aqua one 55l cube tank

Currently using an all pond solutions h.o.b filter (currently cycling as this is going to replace my internal which takes up far to much space).

Aqua one filter that came with the tank also running.

JBL manado substrate.

Easy life root tabs.

Dosing 3ml of evolution aqua fertilizer daily and also 1.5ml of easy carbo daily.

Also recently purchased a new Asta 20 led light to replace stock led bar.

Lights are on a timer and come on at 9:45 and go off at 20:00

I have attached photos of my tank if I have missed any information out then please just let me know and I will post asap.

20180722_115533.jpg
20180722_115552.jpg
20180722_115603.jpg
20180722_115611.jpg

There are a few obvious ( to this forum) problems.
1) lightduration: throttle it down to 5-6 hours max ( seeing you have troubles it's almost always to MUCH light)
2) HOB filter might not put out enough volume
3) i don't know the exact properties of the fertilisation, but it's probably not enough for your amount of light
4) liquid carbon: is defenitely not enough for your amount of light

Advice: do a thourough clean ( rub, suck,clean all the algae away) and a large water change (maybe even 90% the first time) and keep doing that twice a week for a few weeks (50% wc)
Lessen the light 1) to about 5 hours max, 2) in intensity ( either electronicaly dim it, or hang it higher)
Increase fertilisation scheme.
I would keep CO2 at this level for now.
Do this 6 weeks and report back

Thank you for your advice, I shall put what you say into effect from tomorrow and hopefully in a few weeks I shall be able to report back with some improved pictures

Since the problems started with the addition of a new light, I would say that's the instigator to the situation.

More light = more demand for everything, flow/filtration/co2/fertiliser. Light is the driving factor.

Good luck! Edvet's advice is sound and should see you well on the road to recovery. Do make sure to report back.

Would you advise that I cut back the plants that are currently suffering with algae or just implement the above advice and the algae should slowly resolve itself ?

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Damaged leaves can be cut away, just make sure you have plenty plantmaterial left, so don't go overboard at once. Remove the worst, but give them chance to grow.
With stem plants exchange a few with fresh cuttings and repeat every few days.

Would you advise that I cut back the plants that are currently suffering with algae or just implement the above advice and the algae should slowly resolve itself ?

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Again there's great advice there already given. The reason you should leave some leaves on is to enable the plant to pull back mobile nutrients from those dying leaves to use in the production of new growth.

Back