• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with aquascape

Ok so I was thinking about how crappy my scape was and decided to watch some videos and came across this one...

So here is another rough draft....

I do think I need more elevation for the main stone but there is almost two bags of aquasoil in there now...

I feel like there is something not right but I dont know what I should really do. I have a lot of rock of this cool black lava rock left in different sizes any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry for the dirty glass I thought I got all the crap off it when I took down my tank but apparently its refused to leave.

BrazilianScape.jpg

Edit...

Looking at it here on the forums i think a problem are the bottom stones are to similar it position it looks unnatural.

Hi
The layout of the right hand rocks seam to lead the eye out to the right of the tank. Could you rotate the right back rock by about 30 degrees clockwise? The channel in that rock will keep the eye to the left of the tank. The tank seams crowded to me; to many rocks. As a result there is no single focal point for the eye to settle on to. Place your main feature rock then arrange the others to complement that and balance the composition.

Last edited:
Much better, just lose the little rock in the centre!
Then you have a strong right side diagonal (green arrow) meeting a lesser left side one (yellow arrow).
There is tension between the two largest rocks as they are leaning away from each other.
The rule of thirds is met (blue lines) & you have a point of interest on three of the intersections (pink circles). 🥴

Attachments

• IMG_20240304_074557.jpg
    IMG_20240304_074557.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 52
Layout is looking nice. It's all about the planting now. Planning to go more Brazilian than NA now I guess?
Thanks. There are still some things I don't like mainly the rock in the top middle. I tried removing it but it looks weird up there because the rock at the top left is too small to be alone.

This scape has kind of turned more into an iwagumi than a brazilian scape. I wanted to do stems in the back kind of flowing down into the middle so I tried removing the rock but I think I will need to rework the back left side to make it work.

1709695014387.png

Wrong rock, I meant this one! 😁 The others were just right! (My fault, I blanked it out in brown so it didn't show... 🙄)

Attachments

• IMG_20240306_074659.jpg
    IMG_20240306_074659.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 30
Ok thank you. I readjusted. I wasn't really looking to go this rock heavy in an iwagumi style but I think it is pretty good now so I will plant it and see how it goes. I am going to try a nature scape in my 45u.

1709734785448.png

Unfortunately I woke this morning and went downstairs and lo and behold....water was in my basement again...

I appreciate all the help with the aquascape, hopefully one day I'll be able to recreate this scape and put it to use.

Unfortunately I woke this morning and went downstairs and lo and behold....water was in my basement again...
Errrr, what caused that then?

We have been getting an insane amount of rain all winter. My basement never had water for the first 5 years after we moved here and my neighbor said his basement only flooded once in the 15 years he’s lived there until the last 3 months.

This is the second time in 3 months we had water. It’s not as bad as the last time, hopefully we won’t need to pull the floor again.

We have been getting an insane amount of rain all winter. My basement never had water for the first 5 years after we moved here and my neighbor said his basement only flooded once in the 15 years he’s lived there until the last 3 months.

This is the second time in 3 months we had water. It’s not as bad as the last time, hopefully we won’t need to pull the floor again.
Really, really sorry to hear that. I hope it really is not as bad as before.

The winter up here in "arctic" Minnesota has been the weirdest in modern history with more heat records that anyone can count - last Saturday we had daytime high in the 70 F - normal would be around 20 F. Some precipitation, but not nearly enough which is going to be an issue for the farming season etc. We haven't had the need for snow removal even once this season (!) normally that would be a weekly occurrence. Yes, its nice for a change to experience an Oregon winter, but its very disturbing really. The insane amounts of rain in coastal regions are here to stay I think.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
The winter up here in "arctic" Minnesota has been the weirdest in modern history with more heat records that anyone can count - last Saturday we had daytime high in the 70 F - normal would be around 20 F. Some precipitation, but not nearly enough which is going to be an issue for the farming season etc. We haven't had the need for snow removal even once this season (!) normally that would be a weekly occurrence. Yes, its nice for a change to experience an Oregon winter, but its very disturbing really. The insane amounts of rain in coastal regions are here to stay I think.

Cheers,
Michael
I am in Rhode Island and everyone is getting flooded this year. Many people like me who never had issues are getting hit pretty hard. We got some snow this year but a lot less than normal, instead we got insane amounts of rain….. it just rained 3 inches in 72 hours.

There never used to be weather like this and it has been snowing a lot less than it used to when I was growing up over the past 5 years or so. If you look at the numbers it seems like Rhode Island has had one of the largest increases in temperature over the last 10 years compared to the rest of the country.

We were up in the air on whether we should get a sump pump installed thinking it was hopefully going to be a one time thing. Just called the guy today and told him to put us on the list.,,

water was in my basement again
Oh man, sorry to hear that! Was looking forward to this one. Cold damp basements reminding me of Coldwater tanks on YouTube. Worth checking out, this guy's wonderful, almost childlike enthusiasm for what is living right there in the sea near him. Great accent too

Back