• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with choosing fish For New Aquascape

Tommy

Hi everyone, my initial fish stocking was going to be boesemani rainbow fish, geophagus red head Tapajos and Moenkhausia Costae. Now that my aquascape is coming together Im thinking the Geophagus would look out of place especially when they get big.

I am thinking smaller will be better for my aquascape so I welcome any suggestions on what to put in my tank. I think I will stick with the Costae as they are excellent schooling fish. :)

The tank is 4ft long 240ltrs mate :)
Maybe some corydoras for the bottom or a pair of pelviachromis taeniatus for some colour.

With the bosemani rainbows make sure u get decent stock. Some of the inbred stuff sold is pretty crap when it comes to colour. Look out for what are sold as red bosemani, there the ones you want. Nice deep blue with blood orange. My favourite fish I've kept, wish I had the space for them again.

Cheers

Conor

The Rainbow Fish website is worth reading for anything “rainbow”
many rainbow species display color & size variation depending on locale

If you buy young rainbows (as with many juvenile fish) purchase the dull grey ones rather than those displaying adult coloration - these will have been hormoned, it’s not “line-breeding”

If you’re considering smaller fish, there are many rainbow species to choose from

I’m a little confused, are you still set on the bosemani?
I’d consider these a larger active fish so I’d be careful about selecting suitable tankmates

Alto is right in saying the bosemanis are a sizeable fish. My males were big powerful fish and a 4ft would be the smallest I'd recommend. I had them in a 5ft and they flew from one end to the other with ease.

What numbers of the rainbows and costae were youplanning on?

Cheers

Conor

The Rainbow Fish website is worth reading for anything “rainbow”
many rainbow species display color & size variation depending on locale

If you buy young rainbows (as with many juvenile fish) purchase the dull grey ones rather than those displaying adult coloration - these will have been hormoned, it’s not “line-breeding”

If you’re considering smaller fish, there are many rainbow species to choose from

I’m a little confused, are you still set on the bosemani?
I’d consider these a larger active fish so I’d be careful about selecting suitable tankmates
Alto is right in saying the bosemanis are a sizeable fish. My males were big powerful fish and a 4ft would be the smallest I'd recommend. I had them in a 5ft and they flew from one end to the other with ease.

What numbers of the rainbows and costae were youplanning on?

Cheers

Conor

Hi, I have 5 boesemani rainbows and 2 Australian rainbows, that are being kept at my lfs. I was thinking 15 - 20 Costae, and something else. :)

Back