• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help with translation 'MTS'

Mitchel

I found a piece of text and need some help to understand the abbreviation 'MTS'.

quote;
"DSM also takes 4-8 weeks before flooding, so no time is really lost waiting, since you wait for the MTS a few weeks anyway.
Plant roots also add much more O2 to the soil than MTS alone might. This means the bacterial zonation and colonies are more stable and higher densities."

What means the abbreviation 'MTS'

tia Mitch

Hi all,
Because of the context, I'm assuming it is <"Malaysian Trumpet Snail">* (Melanoides tuberculata), <"they are hardy"> and they burrow.
..... Plant roots also add much more O2 to the soil than MTS alone might. This means the bacterial zonation and colonies are more stable and higher densities."
Where is the quote from? I'd be interested in reading the rest of the text, it looks <"quite interesting">.*

* Not "Malaysian Trumpet Snail", but <"Mineralized Top Soil">, see the title of the original "Planted Tank" article. <"BAKING mineralized soil?">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

Because of the context, I'm assuming it is <"Malaysian Trumpet Snail"> (Melanoides tuberculata),
Could also be referencing "Mineralized Top Soil".

Hi all,
Could also be referencing "Mineralized Top Soil".
Thanks @John q, you are right, that is exactly what it is "MTS = Mineralized Top Soil". I should have changed that (in my first post) after @Mitchel posted the original Tom Barr reference.

It is referenced in some of @plantbrain's UKAPS threads, including the one you linked (and that I contributed to) in 2012. I've got no excuse, other than premature senility.

The baking process causes the thermal decomposition of the organic matter, which is then easier to decompose by soil microbes, converting the organically bound carbon (C) to CO2 and leaving behind the mineral fraction of the soil.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back