• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hemianthus callitrichoides

Colinlp

Hi

I've just rescaped my 60P (last week) the Hemianthus callitrichoides is growing well with some spread and some vertical growth. Should I be thinking of trimming the vertical growth out at this stage to try and encourage spread?

Thanks (and I'll be updating my thread in a week or so with some time line photos)

Hi

I've just rescaped my 60P (last week) the Hemianthus callitrichoides is growing well with some spread and some vertical growth. Should I be thinking of trimming the vertical growth out at this stage to try and encourage spread?

Thanks (and I'll be updating my thread in a week or so with some time line photos)
Yes, once you trim slightly it will spread quicker, share a picture if you have a chance!

Nate

At this stage any trimming you do needs to be done very carefully because your HC's root system won't be established - there's a risk of pulling it up. Use a nice sharp pair of scissors or those special curved pruning scissors, and go slowly.

I personally would leave it a few weeks more, and live with a bit of vertical growth for the time being. You can trim it back later on once it's had more of a chance to get rooted - but even then you'll need to be careful until it's well established.

In my 25 litre nano tank, which has now been planted for about 7 weeks, the HC spread itself out horizontally quite quickly, but I accidentally uprooted some chunks early on while pruning. It's getting more established now. By contrast, the Glossostigma got itself rooted in no time.

Back