• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi everyone

toby843

Seedling
Hi there,
I'venever had a planted tank so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I've been here all night reading different posts and articles and am still lost.
I have a 55 gallon malawi tank thats doing geat, and we have a smaller tropical community tank too, so we're ok with the basics etc.
We will be getting a 75 gallon tank shortly and are looking to make it a long term planted project. We like both the kind of jungle style tanks with the roots etc and the iwagumi style too and we have seen some clips of Oliver knott online and love his tanks.
So we are going to try our first planted tank.
I'm lost wih co2 though. I think I get the lighting issues and as far as I know as long as we aim for 2.5 to 3 wpg we should be ok yeah?
So its the co2 I'm lost with. How much do I need for this size tank? Should I buy a pressurised co2 kit online? What are my options? and is it a nightmare to run?
Sorry I'm asking the same old questions.
Thanks
Toby

Hello Toby,

Lighting isn't the biggest concern, Flow and co2 injection and distribution are, aim for a minimum of 10x turn over of the tanks volume and hour from your filter, using a spray bar will help get a nice even distribution of you co2 :)

Most people using co2 on the forum opt for a fire extinguisher with reg and solenoid(electronic shut of valve). This can all be bought from ebay, and the fe could be source local and all for close to 100pounds, and with 5kg bottles they'll last a lot longer and only cost around 30quid a bottle.

Most use shut off valves (solenoid) so you can have the co2 on a timer to have it off at night to save co2 and also so you can have it come on 2hours before lights on so the tank is enriched ready for lights on, and then go off 2hours before lights out :)

I'd opt for a UPatomizer inline..brillliant diffusers.

Have a quick look around on the forum I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. I will look into the fire extinguisher thing thanks.
If I have any problems or question I will ask.
Ta

Welcome aboard Tony, all levels of experience welcomed :) we are here to guide you in the right path ;)
Please read the forum rules and feel free to ask questions in the relevant sections :) enjoy

Back