• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi from a new member

paulmartin

Hi all, i've just joined the site. For a few years I have kept marines, I have always admired planted tanks and recently decided to close my marine tank down. I have joined the site to learn as much as I can, my knowledge is very basic, I am doing loads of research but there is nothing better than speaking to people in the hobby.
I hope to learn a lot here so I can keep a successful planted tank. I have a Rio 125 that I will start with, I do need lots of advice as to filtration, lighting etc so I hope you guys can help me out!
Thanks for looking.
Paul.

Hello Paul

You've come to the right place, I'm sure if you kept marine successful Yourll be confident with your w/c and dosing regimes so you'll have no problems

Basics to remember
•Dosing fertiliser does not cause algae
•Try to achieve at least 10x your aquarium size in your filter hourly turn over
•you don't need huge amounts of light ;)
•don't eat road kill raw

Hello Paul

You've come to the right place, I'm sure if you kept marine successful Yourll be confident with your w/c and dosing regimes so you'll have no problems

Basics to remember
•Dosing fertiliser does not cause algae
•Try to achieve at least 10x your aquarium size in your filter hourly turn over
•you don't need huge amounts of light ;)
•don't eat road kill raw

Hi and thanks, when you say 10x filter turnover, if i have say a 200ltr tank that would be 2000lph? as i havent seen any filters with that much flow. forgive the ignorance, im used to sumps!

The Fluval FX5 gives 2400l !
With big tanks, two filters are a good idea but you can use a sump on planted tanks too, although it is more economical on C02 to use a power filter.
You can find all the info you need under the relevant heading.... have fun looking around.

Yeah foxfish is spot on, great to use 2 I you can. Some people use a power head of 2 to make up the extra flow. A good thing I bare in mind is that your flow needs to be uniform, no point having 2 filters at 1000lph each battling against one another.

Yeh as foxfish said have a good look about and get stuck in.

The tank i am thinking of getting is just over 200 litres, i have looked at the FX5 also the Eheim 2178 thermofilter, which is more expensive but then obviously i wouldnt need a seperate heater and have the problem of how to best hide it and the cable. what do you think?

The ehiem sounds great. Best bet is to put a thread up in the 'filteration' section and maybe someone with se experience with one or both of the filters will give you some input

Ceg will be along to tell us off for posting info on the introduction thread !
The problem with those giant filters revolves around the pipe size as the available standard accessories wont fit.

Ok my fault, lol, i'll take it to the other thread, thanks for your help though guys.

Back