• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi from Devon

jon32

Hi, just getting back into the scene after an 8 years (or so) gap. My attempts at a planted tank in the past were fairly successful (but not nearly as successful as the tanks in the gallery - wow!).
I see things have moved on a fair bit since I started all those years ago, although I did have a C02 setup and also a substrate heating cable! (which doesn't seem too popular now a days?)
Anyway with the knowledge and help of the forum I hope to do better this time :)

Cheers,

Jon

Hey easerthegeezer thanks for the welcome. I've been looking on AE's website. I hadn't realised they were down in Devon tbh, so thanks for the heads up :)

Welcome Jon. I don't Suppose you would have any images of previous set ups? Would be interesting to see.

I wasn't around when heating cables where used. Was it just to hide the heater before inline external ones where used?

Cheers

Hi nayr88, thanks. I have a couple of photo's in an album not on digital though as at the time digital cameras weren't very good or the good ones were too expensive lol. I might try and scan one in of my last set up but it's not the best photo unfortunately.

The idea behind the heating cable was to provide some circulation through the substrate for the roots of the plants, well that was the theory but I think it's been proved since that it isn't necessary. You still had to heat the aquarium conventionally, as the heat from the substrate cable was minimal so has not to cook the plants roots!

Cheers :)

HI Mike, thanks :)

Well the scanner was close by...

This was my first planted tank with co2 injection. Not much in the way of aquascaping just learning to grow and maintain the plants.
The second pic is of my last set up which had a nice little carpet of E tenellus and a lovely little shoal of cardinal tetras (my favourite fish)

tank1_zpsd1e2e1ae.jpg
tank2_zpsfd5ac4e0.jpg

Welcome Jon.
Your first tank shows you could grow plants, and your last tank looks like a really nice aquascape, cant beat the good old cardinal tetra!
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady. Thanks for the kind comments. Glad you could make out the pics as not the best quality having been photographed by a) me for one thing lol and b) on a quite basic 35mm camera back in the day.

Yep love cardinal tetras, can't wait to see them swimming about in my tank again.

Cheers

Back