• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi from the Royal county of Berkshire

Marc1t

Hi to everyone.
I came across this forum after setting up a planted aquarium for the first time & I was so impressed with the depth of knowledge & information, I had to sign up.
About 10 years ago I used to keep fish! That's about it! Gravel in the bottom a few bits of bogwood water & fish.
the only successful plant in there was algae.
About then in an aquatic centre somewhere I saw a magnificent planted cube aquarium with Discus & since then I promised myself that one day I would have a setup like that.
Now with the space, I have a lovely 30 gallon 2 foot cube aquarium sitting on (even if I say so myself) a lovely oak pedestal stand I built myself, (strong enough to support my house) a very good Eheim filter & good lighting except for the stand all bought second hand for less than £100. ADA aqua soil in the bottom, A Discus mix of plants from aqua essentials,a fantastic large piece of redmoor wood & at the moment half a dozen Cardinal tetras & 4 Neon tetras,(hope to keep Discus at some time) & a few other bits & bobs, All bought for quite a bit more than £100. Its not been a perfect journey since the start, I confess I don't know that much at the moment about aquascapes & Iv probably made loads of mistakes, a steep learning curve, & if I was honest Im not entirely happy with it yet, if only I had found this forum earlier! Things aren't all that bad at the moment, & it looks ok (ish) but I know I'm in the right place for help & advice.
Cheers for now. Marc.

helle mark
please post some pic of you tank
i have kept discus for a few years (the king of freshwater) an adult discus needs +- 60l water each and should be kept in groups of 6 or more.
after about 5 years i gave the discus up coz i just spent too much time and money. so don`t give up your dream just get a bigger tank coz

30 gallon 2 foot cube aquarium

just not big enough
doug

I agree with dougstar Marc1t. Yet I guess some have kept maybe a couple of discus in that size of aquarium. The thing with discus is that you should prepare an aquarium specially for them and not try to squish them into what you've got. I know it sounds discouraging, but maybe if you wait a bit and get a bigger tank somewhen in the future.

Thanks I appreciate your comments, Iv read a lot about Discus & I would love to keep them, but I do agree with you my tank is a bit small maybe in the future? in the mean time Im keen to learn as much as I can & I will post a pic as soon as Iv worked out how to do it on here
Cheers.

Back