• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi, I am the other new guy

Hi everyone,

I am about to start my first planted tank and I am sure I will be in this forum a lot in the next few month asking all kinds of stupid questions, so please accept my apologies in advance ;) 

I had a small fluval edge fish tank a few years back, I got bored of it and since it was too small to really do anything interesting( or so I thought at the time) ,I passed it on to a friend and got myself a larger tank (180l ) that I setup as a marine tank, It went well for a while, I spent copious amount of money on it and I was very happy with myself...but disaster last month when I was on holidays, my heater went crazy and over heated the tank, it killed all my fishes, sps, and most of my inverts, I was gutted...I lost my fishes and also the friend that was meant to look after the tank for me...but eh! S#*t happens...
I wondered for a while if I was going to start again but I don't have the courage to start another marine tank from scratch, I then looked at tropical tanks and that's when I got hooked with planted tank...I looked around a bit and I now have a fair bit of the required material after cleaning my old tank and receiving gifts from here and there...

I would appreciate if you guys could take a list at the equipment I have below and tell me if anything is wrong or  needs changing:

Aqua One Regency 80 tank (180l 80Long x 40Wide x 70High cm) 
Eheim professional 3 250 2071 canister filter
Dennerle Eco Line Thermo Tronic 40W undergravel heating
Dennerle Disposable 300 Quantum CO2
4x Hagen Life Glo T5 HO 24w 
tank hood covered with Mylar instead of standard reflectors, 
JBL aquarium thermometer
Eheim air pump 400
newave 1000 powerhead
Vecton UV8 steriliser with T5 8W uv light

My main worry so far is the lighting, I am not sure it's enough for a tank where the water column is going to be 60cm or so...will I be able to grow anything or will I be limited? And if I am limited then do you know how much of a problem it will be and what plant to avoid? So far half the people I talked to said it will be more than enough and the other half said I won't grow much at the bottow and especially not the carpet types of plants...so I am confused.

Also, substrate...I have been recommended the Tropica Plant stuff since it is quite forgiving apparently for beginners, is that the way to go?

And finally, I will welcome any advice you may have.

Thank you for your time

I bought some, i had some already, i got some offered to me...so i have all that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Call

Welcome to the community

Sorry to hear about the marine tank would be my worst nightmare and about only thing that's putting me off with the cost of marine equipment and livestock still being tad expensive, got any pictures of you're marine tank setup.

Your list of equipment is perfect for a high tec tank with 88watts of light over 180lrts will be plenty at almost 0.5watts per ltr or 2.5watts per gallon

Have you decide what ferts you going to use with being x marine keeper you would have no problems with a method called E.I basically mixing you own ferts have look a this guide viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1211

Also consider starting a journal will look forward to following you're build!!

I would say that it looks a pretty consise list, dubious about the under gravel heater as they can be a pain. Roots grow all through them and if they fail then you have an even bigger problem.
If you can stretch to it have a look at the inline heaters.

Your light should be fine, the distribution of co2 and flow is far more important than light.

UV sterilisers arent needed and dont tend to be used on most planted tanks, some say it kills the goodness in the water without any benefit. Thats not to say they dont have uses... green water etc.

Same with the air pump, with enough plants they will supply all the o2 needed. Some use them at night and also its good to have one on stand by if co2 spikes for any reason.

Otherwise you are on the right track for a nice planted tank.
Look forward to the journal.

Hi everyone,

Just finished work at last!!!

Thanks for your reply, I must say it puts my mind at ease :) . The lighting was my main worry and I am delighted to read that I should be fine...plus it means I can sell my old MH light fixture and bring in some cash to buy plants :)

I don't know about fertiliser etc... To be quite honest, I would like to spend less time dealing with the tank than I used to with the marine one, a maximum of 15minutes a day in average would be great and maybe a bit more over my days off but that's it...so I am more looking at easy/forgiving/fool proof way of doing things rather than always being on the edge of messing everything up...but I still want a nice tank though ;)

Can anyone recommend a substrate and fertilisers that would fit the bill?

Thanks for your help and I will have. Look at the journal thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back