• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi

Christor

Hi all, I am new to the fish keeping hobby but hooked already, and looking to upgrade to a larger tank, in particular a planted tank so where better to come to ask questions :D :lol:

Based in NI so if anyone else here is local id love to hear from you and Ill no doubtbe bugging yous with questions soon enough :)

Hi and thanks for the welcome, so far undecided however the Walstad method has got me most interested in starting a planted tank

Welcome along, are you going to be using Miracle gro for the Walstad method?

To be honest I have yet to start, totally new to planted tanks but ready and willing to research and learn before I start for sure! any tips or links much appreciated!

Christor said:
To be honest I have yet to start, totally new to planted tanks but ready and willing to research and learn before I start for sure! any tips or links much appreciated!
Walstad uses miracle gro organic potting mix but it doesn't really matter what you use as long as it is organic. Non organic soils might have chemicals that will harm you fish. Make sure you cap the soil really well with a thick layer of gravel - nothing worse than getting dirt on your nice plants!
If you're interested in the walstad method check out Dustinsfishtanks on YouTube. www.youtube.com/user/dustinsfishtanks he has some really great information on the method.
Hope this helps, good luck! :)
Callum

Thanks for that Callum always interesting reading and watching how other people have taken the idea, do you also setup your planted tanks in such a way?

Christor said:
Thanks for that Callum always interesting reading and watching how other people have taken the idea, do you also setup your planted tanks in such a way?
I have a 20 gallon set up with organic potting mix and it works a treat :) cannot stress how important it is to cap properly othwerwise you get bits of dirt flying around the tank and settling on plants.

A very cool, got any pictures about? would be very interesting to see! yes I plan on using a gravel splitter, thanks for the info!

Back