• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hide and Seek Riverbed (Low tech)

Fauna 1st set of pics
I have been a little cheeky and rushed my tank a little but I couldn't resist. I went to kesselgrave tropical in Ipswich on sunday as I saw their Ebay page and wanted to check out their selection. Kesselgrave tropicals is really well hidden from the main road, at first I thought my GPS had taken me to the wrong place, its like walking into someones garage fish room as opposed to an Aquatics shop. They have a very healthy and varied stocking with super friendly and knowledgeable staff, I spent over an hour staring into the tanks and chatting. I got 5+ Sakura grade cherry shrimp one of which was a berried female who released her spawn the next day :D, I also got a few shrimplet hitchhikers who sneaked into the bag. 8 x Cory. Habrosus (salt and pepper cories) who have been perfectly obliging characters dithering at all areas of the tanks. What I thought was 1 x baby Horned nerite with a twisted shell turned out to be 2 even smaller horned nerites one attached to the others shell. The one who was attached to the shell does act strange though spending a lot of the time attached to the other or digging in the substrate. I can't work out a cause for this as the other nerite is very healthy and active whizzing all over the plants and glass.

fish4_zps53d81677.jpg

fish3_zps02ac0188.jpg

fish2_zpsc8d4d2d0.jpg

fish1_zps828c0ffe.jpg

shrimp1_zps209ecb21.jpg

shrimp2_zps7bff4299.jpg

shrimp3_zps20db2272.jpg

As I was premature with my stocking I am keeping a close eye on ammonia and nitrate levels and doing 10-15% water changes each day as a precaution. I just saw the first shrimp exoskeleton today from a fresh molt. As I do a head count in the morning and evening, 2 shrimp are missing this evening so I am hoping they will emerge healthy from my caves in a couple of days. That will be my first sign that my tank is truly habitable and their are no extraneous chemicals from the silicone, pipes ect. as a freshly molted shrimp is particularly susceptible to such hazards.

I have lost 2 shrimp so far. One was a gorgeous dark red female, both bodies have turned up in the sandy area towards the center of the tank. I believe they died whilst in the pvc pipes though and the current drifted them out. I hope I won't lose the 3 left when they molt as they are all super active and look healthy. Water parameters are all low and stable so it could just be stress from the move.

Back