• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hiding substrate line

madlan

Has anyone thought of using a strip of something to hide the substrate line at the front of the glass?

I’m using Akadama which is lighter than I wanted from a substrate, although the only visible part once everything’s grown well will be the glass\substrate area along the bottom.

A strip of inert black plastic would hide this, with the benefit of preventing any light hitting the area removing the usual BGA seen after a few months.

Hi all,
I usually put a strip of black electrical masking tape along the line of the substrate, it tends to lose adhesion after a time, but a roll costs pennies from Wilkinsons etc. so I just replace it when it starts to peel off. Only tip is to make sure the tape isn't stretched when you put it on the glass.

cheers Darrel.

madlan said:
Has anyone thought of using a strip of something to hide the substrate line at the front of the glass?

A strip of inert black plastic would hide this, with the benefit of preventing any light hitting the area removing the usual BGA seen after a few months.

Hi Madlan

I agree with Darrel - electrical tape would be cheap and cheerful or perhaps you could try a strip of really dark window tint film for something a bit more permanent?

when you mention inert plastic it gives the impression that you want to put the strip inside the tank - this seems like a lot of work with added risk of this strip being breached by bits and pieces, destroying the clean look you're trying to achieve?

ive used Wilkinson blackboard paint for the backs of my tanks. guess it would work on the front as well. masking tape will give you a nice clean line and its water proof. i think a Stanley blade would clean it of easily if you change your mind.

Back