• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High-energy soil-substrate layout - updated

Re: High-energy soil-substrate layout - planted (image heavy

foxfish said:
Good luck with your set up Tim.
I think you might get problems with the grass sending runners above the pebbles though?

Thanks for the good luck. As for runners, it's very much a work in progress, and I'm after a natural looking nature aquarium anyway - if that's not tautological - so I'll just go with it and see how it develops, anything I don't like I'll garden out.

FTS
FTS_zps08e36665.jpg

Very nice indeed, great planting, it looks very natural and settled already! Looking forward to a few weeks down the line.
Are the fish panda barbs or aurulius or some other, can't quite make them out on my phone?
Cheerio
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Very nice indeed, great planting, it looks very natural and settled already! Looking forward to a few weeks down the line.
Are the fish panda barbs or aurulius or some other, can't quite make them out on my phone?
Cheerio
Ady.

Cheers Ady, the barbs are the dwarf golden variety (Pethia gelius). It's a really good schooler.

tim said:
Nice start mate going to look very natural grown in definately one to watch could you post a flora/fauna list please troi :thumbup:

Thanks Tim, here's a full Amano style rundown:

DATA

Date /September 2012
Aquarium /W60 x D40 x H25 (cm)
Lighting /15W x 2 lamps T8, turned on for 10 hours
Filter /External canister - Eheim EcoPro 300
Substrate /1:1 blend moss peat & aquatic compost, capped with gravel
Ferts /TNC Complete & Flourish excel, approx 2ml every other day
CO2 /Up-Aqua inline atomizer, 2 bubbles per second during photoperiod
Aeration /Lilly pipe
Water Change /1/2 once a week
Water Quality /Temperature 23oC; pH6.9; TH >200mg/l (should stabilize at lower level once established)

Aquatic Plants

Pogostemon erectus
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Cryptocoryne wendtii
‘Tropica’ (brown)
Micranthemum micranthemoides
Rotola rotundifolia
Eleocharis acicularis
Aponogeton
sp. (possibly natans)
Vesicularia Dubyana ‘Christmas’

Also very small amounts of Lilaeopsis sp., Staurogyne repens, and Glossostigma elatinoides.

Animals

Danio/Celestichthys Margaritatus
Pethia gelius
Otocinclus sp.
Neocaridina heteropoda

Looks great :) subscribed

Matt

reminds me of one of georges' tanks. the english biotope.

darren636 said:
reminds me of one of georges' tanks. the english biotope.

Cheers Darren, thanks for the compliment. Do you have a link to Georges' English biotope scape I'm not familiar with that one.

darren636 said:
yep, here you go. not exact but has the same 'feel' http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/c ... p?sid=3032

Thanks, it does have a similar feel at the moment; obviously great minds think alike ;)
But I think the feel will be quite different once it's matured though :)

Gary Nelson said:
I like it, it looks very natural... Just like a snap shot under a river bed :thumbup:

Don't know where you live, but looks better than any riverbed on the Swale :lol:

More like a chocolate milkshake.

Nice troi, was going for this effect in my Mini M but as it contains CRS the Wc's were frequent to keep everything in check.

Gary Nelson said:
I like it, it looks very natural... Just like a snap shot under a river bed :thumbup:

Thanks Gary, that was my main aim.

Whitey89 said:
Gary Nelson said:
Don't know where you live, but looks better than any riverbed on the Swale :lol:

More like a chocolate milkshake.

Nice troi, was going for this effect in my Mini M but as it contains CRS the Wc's were frequent to keep everything in check.

Cheers Whitney
The Swale valley is pretty scenic and in places fairly well braided with similar gravels; a legacy from its glacial past. It's just far from tropical :lol:

The chocolate milkshake thing is an Interesting analogy; is it good or bad :?: :D

tim said:
think hes talkin about the swale mate not your tank when he said choc milkshake :thumbup:

:lol: Oh I think I get it...as in turbidity :!: right :?:

Haha, yeah, I was referring to the river Swale when I said chocolate milkshake.

Yeah swaledale is very nice, I live in Richmond, North Yorkshire. Which I believe is fairly well known, considering its A town of only about 15,000.

Tanks very nice troi, I like the Manzanita Layout in the corner, coupled with the stones/pebbles, it does look like a tropical stream.

Whitey89 said:
Haha, yeah, I was referring to the river Swale when I said chocolate milkshake.

Yeah swaledale is very nice, I live in Richmond, North Yorkshire. Which I believe is fairly well known, considering its A town of only about 15,000.

Tanks very nice troi, I like the Manzanita Layout in the corner, coupled with the stones/pebbles, it does look like a tropical stream.

Was having a blond day yesterday. It seems to be happening with increasing regularity recently, maybe it's the onset of oldtimers disease :?

Nice part of the world...lucky devil.

Hi Troi how is the tank doing these days?

Cheers,
Mario

I love it, it looks like a very natural riverbed!
Thank you for posting, keep us updated!

Mario

Back