• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High Light and Low Light Levels Based on PAR readings

faizal

Hi everyone. I came across a post over at barrreport awhile back with regards to Light Levels and their corresponding PAR values. I think Tom Barr had actually suggested that the following values of PAR with respect to light intensities.

Could someone please confirm if these ranges appear reasonable?

LOW LIGHT INTENSITY AQUARIUM
1. PAR value at substrate level = 30 - 70 micromoles/sec/m2
2. PAR value at just below the water surface level = Less than 150 micromoles/sec/m2

MEDIUM LIGHT INTENSITY AQUARIUM
1. PAR at substrate = 60 - 120 micromoles/sec/m2
2. PAR at just below the water surface level = 150-280 micromoles/sec/m2

HIGH LIGHT INTENSITY AQUARIUM
1. PAR at substrate = More than 150 micromoles/sec/m2
2. PAR just below the water surface level = 300 micromoles/sec/m2 or more

I am truly sorry because I don't actually have a link to that post but I sort of wrote it down in my notebook :geek: and I have been carrying around this figures for a while now.

Could someone be kind enough to confirm if the above ranges are somewhat true to work with please?

Faizal

Hi faizal,
Yes, these are the basic numbers but I'd say stick with the low light numbers to keep out of trouble. The categories are meaningless if flow, CO2 and nutrients are sub-par.

Cheers,

Hi Clive,....thanks for that!!! Again!!!
Yes,...I definetely plan on sticking to the Low Light Intensities. I was just trying to confirm if I had those figures right. Again that was just for my knowledge. It's useless without a PAR meter of course :(

Thanks to you I am not worried as I was about the temperature, flow and CO2 though!!! :D

Thanks again.

UKAPS truly rules!!!

Faizal

Back