• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High Tech Aquarium: Advice Needed

Burnleygaz said:
which side is the hardwired filter on ? and which way does it direct your flow ? thirdly, is there anyway of altering which way the outflow nozzle points.

The pane of glass on the right side. The flow goes directly leftwards and the direction to which the nozzle points can't be altered.

That's not so bad. I'd suggest moving your other filter and the power heads over to the right side and point them all at the left side glass with the outlets as high as you can get them without causing the flow to break the surface of the water.
Then place your co 2 diffuser on the left side pane as close to the substrate as possible .

This should get you a nice circular flow patten with the water flowing along the surface and when it hits the left side it should be encouraged to head down towards the substrate to your diffuser , then it will take co 2 over the plants back towards your filters .

My only concern would be that its quite a distance for the water to travel but I believe although not optimal it we would be an improvement on the current situation.

Burnleygaz said:
That's not so bad. I'd suggest moving your other filter and the power heads over to the right side and point them all at the left side glass with the outlets as high as you can get them without causing the flow to break the surface of the water.
Then place your co 2 diffuser on the left side pane as close to the substrate as possible .

This should get you a nice circular flow patten with the water flowing along the surface and when it hits the left side it should be encouraged to head down towards the substrate to your diffuser , then it will take co 2 over the plants back towards your filters .

My only concern would be that its quite a distance for the water to travel but I believe although not optimal it we would be an improvement on the current situation.

Right ok, I'll make some adjustments but I think the internal filter appliance by itself (to the left of the tank) should stay there and continue to point leftwards. I think moving this over to the right side with the rest of the appliances will make the tank look very unattractive.

I didn't realise you'd put the co2 diffuser as a far away as possible from the outlet pipes. My concern with placing it on the left side is the same as your concern; the co2 bubbles will probably just float to the surface and not travel in any sort of a circular motion. This occurred before I installed the powerheads.

If it were me i`d worry about getting the tank working right first, then once everything is growing niceley with minimal algae i`d look to getting the asethetics sorted, its a matter of prioritising your goals for the moment and deciding what is more important to you for a month or 2 . Obviously its your tank but you need to get all that energy in the water working together rather than having flow patters interacting and wasting energy.

The flow from the filters and powerheads should force the co2 bubbles dowards rather then letting them go up , but you can never be sure of these things till you try it :p

Burnleygaz said:
If it were me i`d worry about getting the tank working right first, then once everything is growing niceley with minimal algae i`d look to getting the asethetics sorted, its a matter of prioritising your goals for the moment and deciding what is more important to you for a month or 2 . Obviously its your tank but you need to get all that energy in the water working together rather than having flow patters interacting and wasting energy.

The flow from the filters and powerheads should force the co2 bubbles dowards rather then letting them go up , but you can never be sure of these things till you try it :p

Due to the dimensions of the appliance (on the left pane), moving it to the right-side is not an option. It will get in the way of plants, the outlet pipe of the other filter, the power heads etc.

The best option would be for me to throw the appliance away and source an external filter (should be able to find room for this if small). I have an external filter working with my pond but I have no idea how to operate and fix externals to an aquarium. I think the outlet pipe for externals is around 12mm (1.2cm) which is too big to fit through the small gap that is carved between the rim of the tank and the hood; can this hole be made bigger in a safe way? (i.e. no cracked glass!)

If I did get a compact external filter running, I'd be interested in one of those inline diffusers. Again this is something I have no experience with. Where would this be installed in conjunction with the external filter hardware?

Thanks,
Mark.

Back