• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High tech Light Question

BuffBall

Currently have a high tech 100L aquarium(Tetraline starter kit). Gravel substrate, EI dosing(TNC Complete), CO2(Bright green).
Since the aquarium is weird length, i bough 3 of the All pond solution light(26Watts Each, i cannot find out how many lumens each are, maybe about 1800 lms?? let me know if anyone knows)

Im currently using 2 of them as using 3 gave me some algae, but im not getting the bright red colour from some of the stem plants (Hra and orangejuice) and also the carpet of dwarf grass does slow down alot.
So my main question is, how much light is HIGH TECH LIGHT such as the chihirios WRGB 2 or the main streams ones that achieve these colours and if I would be fine with using all 3?
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-21 at 22.33.13.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-21 at 22.33.13 (1).jpeg

I guess its on wattage and light spectrum. I think 120 Watts is the top end i have seen.

But i dont think wattage is solely what makes a light hightech , its all the fancy add ons which come with it. I.e. Bluetooth connectivity, app ,multi spectrum led diodes.

Chihiros wrgb pro is only 74W but considered one of most hightech lights in the hobby.

Hi there
Just few observations.
  • if plants were growing and then started slowing down or declining then it’s not lights to blame
  • adding new lights will make plants to adapt/transition to new light strength and new CO2 demand. I would wait at least a month to see if everything can manage to balance out itself
  • adding to much light will definitely require adjusting/increasing level of CO2
  • I’d add lights one by one in the course of 1-2 months to minimise the change and keep plants happy
  • algae after big changes are very expected

Hi
Please fill out the below template so we can get the complete picture of you setup:
Tank details below:
1. Size of tank in litres
2. Age of the set - up
3. Filtration + Media/Sponges
4. Lighting and duration
5. Substrate
6. Co2 dosing or Non-dosing
7. Fertilizers used & Ratios
8. Water change regime and type
9. Plant list + When planted
10. Drop Checker
11. Inhabitants
12. Full tank image & Surface image

But i dont think wattage is solely what makes a light hightech , its all the fancy add ons which come with it. I.e. Bluetooth connectivity, app ,multi spectrum led diodes.
High Tech typically refers to the use of CO2 in the aquarium and a suitably intense light to complement that. It's nothing to do with the level of technological sophistication of the light unit itself, such as blue tooth connectivity etc.

Currently have a high tech 100L aquarium(Tetraline starter kit). Gravel substrate, EI dosing(TNC Complete), CO2(Bright green).
Since the aquarium is weird length, i bough 3 of the All pond solution light(26Watts Each, i cannot find out how many lumens each are, maybe about 1800 lms?? let me know if anyone knows)

Im currently using 2 of them as using 3 gave me some algae, but im not getting the bright red colour from some of the stem plants (Hra and orangejuice) and also the carpet of dwarf grass does slow down alot.
So my main question is, how much light is HIGH TECH LIGHT such as the chihirios WRGB 2 or the main streams ones that achieve these colours and if I would be fine with using all 3?
View attachment 218560
First lumens is one of the least measurements to use to determine brightness to plants.
This is a graph showing what lumens measures and what plants " like" in general.
Point is the lumens of a RGB led and the lumens of a 7500k white LEDs have very different meaning to plants.

Screenshot_20240422-064923.png

Now as to chasing red there are many reasons for the expression of red from nitrogen starvation,
(When Less is More)
genetics, iron ect and including using very red lights. Of course the easiest way is to have high light and enough CO2 and nutrients to support the growth/pigment production.

Remember red is a sign of high light stress where the plant produces protective pigments.
Next you need enough red light in the spectrum for them to reflect it back to your eye. Keep in mind you can actually create more red and different shades of red than is actually seen under normal daylight spectrum.
Screenshot_20240422-071053.png

Sooo using all 3 lights may get you closer to what you want but as you noted more difficulty to keep " clean".

Last edited:
Back