• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High tech without filter ?

I suppose a power head with sponge on the inlet would be best,option of doing that but ll think the beneficial bacteria in a filter outweighs the risks maybe of not having a internal or external filter

Hello, what would happen if i run a tank with co2, high light and only a strong powerhead, is it possible ? thx
I wouldn't....unless your going to do multiple water changes to remove organic waste every few days!

I wouldn't....unless your going to do multiple water changes to remove organic waste every few days!
(1) Regular water changes are always a good thing.
(2) Organic waste gets decomposed in a healthy tank without regard of a filter.

(2) Organic waste gets decomposed in a healthy tank without regard of a filter.
That might be all well in good in a low energy set-up.....but high energy that might be a different matter!

I don't quite see why? Could you elaborate your thought a bit?
I can, Co2 drives faster growth even in slow growing plants this in turn produces more waste/crude!
If you have a heavily planted tank, the result will be there to see in a few weeks.
Cheers

Co2 drives faster growth even in slow growing plants this in turn produces more waste/crude!
So, you mean primarily dissolved organics?
And if yes, you observed them removed more efficiently with filter?

I mean waste that hasn't yet decomposed.....mulm/leaf waste.....detritus you can see with the naked eye!
But in a high energy sdtup you do regular weekly water chsnges. So whsts the issue?

High tech without filter ?​

Not sure if they are beneficial, optional or indeed a requirement, but I definitely remove bits of moss, stray leaves and a build up of general crud from my filters on a fortnightly basis.

I mean waste that hasn't yet decomposed.....mulm/leaf waste.....detritus you can see with the naked eye!
I trust you you've truly observed the difference, yet I remain rather unconvinced. Obviously, I can't test hi-tech conditions. I'll be thinking about that.

I'd opt you can do it, but a good filter makes life so much more easy. It provides the flow you need, could have a pre-filter to catch all the stray leaves and bits of guff floating around and it takes 2 mins per week to clean a pre-filter. Do an 80% water change and you're good.

Might be easier since it's a tank without fish, does low light+ co2 still high tech ?

Why don't you try it and let us know what you think? You can always add a filter later if you want to.

looking forward to Eminor starting journal to share his filterless journey.

Different people have different standards of housekeeping, some don't need any mechanical filtration, some are ok with very coarse sponges, while others like myself like to keep water crystal clear with fine sponge filters.

Back