• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HOB and UG filter. Good idea?

Saw this set up on Instagram. Having a HOB inlet connected to a UGF filter seems brilliant idea. Any thoughts on this forum on how viable or useful this set up would be?

Screenshot_2024-01-23-23-33-49-447_com.instagram.android-edit.jpg

My view is "why not?!" (Well, not quite actually as per the below!)

FOR: An HoB filter complimented with an Under gravel makes sense to add that extra filtration capacity. And UG filters are actually quite good for bio-filtration. However, they are only very effective if you don't deep clean the gravel all the time, really keeping it untouched until it starts to clog. To ensure you don't have a UG filter that clogs within 7 days (and thus require cleaning 4 times a month) you need to consider your bioload and ramp up period. (i.e. make sure you understand the load capability of the UG filter to load, and dont add too many fish at once).

AGAINST: Why not just get a small canister with the right media and then you only have one inflow and one outflow in/out of the tank?

Last edited:
@Bradders good points there. Part of the reason I'm attracted to this idea is that the UGF base could serve a dual purpose, building height in the substrate + filtration.

Surely it defeats the purpose of having a HOB filter - which is to have easy access to remove and clean the filter media.

If you go with a UG, the gravel is the filter, so you just need a pump.

Also, having had a number of HOB filters, most won't have anywhere near enough power to draw through the UG plate with any decent level of flow.

In times gone by I had a UG filter running for many years without ever being cleaned. Apart from the filtration and the residual chemicals being in the ideal location, the root zone.
In those days prior to central heating these filters were ideal as it reduced the temperature gradient within the tank making the plants grow better by that alone.
I was using pure peat under gravel

In times gone by I had a UG filter running for many years without ever being cleaned. Apart from the filtration and the residual chemicals being in the ideal location, the root zone.
In those days prior to central heating these filters were ideal as it reduced the temperature gradient within the tank making the plants grow better by that alone.
I was using pure peat under gravel
Did you not have issues with plant roots clogging the filter plate? I rant a UG filter in a fish-only tank as a kid and it was great, but I didn't read great things about them when combined with plants.

I agree with @Wookii that it seems redundant when combined with a HOB and that it seems like it would be wildly underpowered.

I agree with @Wookii that it seems redundant when combined with a HOB and that it seems like it would be wildly underpowered.
I do agree with this. You need to take into account the bioload and ensure your filter can handle it easily. Why easily? Because when you 'over filter', you clean less, which means less maintenance and less disruption of the good stuff.

I wondered how well the water would circulate around the tank. Whether the fall from the weir would be drawn straight into the UG area leaving the front corners 'dead'?
Just need someone to try it out on a small tank & prove it works! 😁

Back