• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Holiday cover

papa_c

So the dilemma is, I have nobody near me that is reliable enough to provide me maintenance cover during my weeks holiday,

From reading the method of EI of dosing i think I am ok to put a weeks worth of ferts in the tank before leaving for the sunny sky.

And then water changing when I get back....is my presumption correct?

I hope that's correct. Because that's exactly what I'm going to do tomorrow before I set off at 5 am on Thursday.

I get back tomorrow to mine, a mate was feeding and topping up with RO every other day. I did a hands off two week test a few weeks beforehand with only feeding and topping off. I haven't had any texts to say it's turned into cesspit so I'm hoping it's okay. It would be nice to come home to healthy fish and a nice carpet of glosso (planted a few days before leaving), fingers crossed!

Another good method is turn off the lights and co2. Then forget about feeding fish and plants for the week. Resume co2 and lighting on return and restart feeding. I have done this for two weeks in a row with no adverse effects at all.

40yrs of fish keeping experience has taught me the best regime for going on holiday is make sure everything is nicely settled and running smooth before you go away , trust no-one . The biggest disasters are when a helpful neighbour is left in charge whilst you're away . My neighbour looks after my pond whilst I'm away and is under instruction to feed them lightly weekly and same with my tropicals . I always come back to a pristine tank ( and pond ) of healthy , hungry fish !! Quick water change and business as usual re ferts etc .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanks guys, so I've given a good WC and topped up the ferts, only a few fish in there, but the Kribs laid their eggs a little while ago and the fry are 4 days old, and swimming strong, fingers crossed all is well when I get back!

Back