• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Holiday Plant ID Help Please

Daniel

Hi all, I wondered if you could help me ID these ferns... I'm staying in the south of France and there are these ferns growing in clumps of moss all along the walls around the house. Would love to know if any of you guys know what they are, are they available at home? And would they word as emergent/terrarium growth? Thanks in advance...

d4cd94de3935721fd544773535bc9cbd.jpg

3853f92c3f99adb22ff94db7bdec03e9.jpg

d704524e02ab404cef4112f961d77c49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what they are but stick some in a sandwich bag and try it out?! What’s the worst that could happen??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
They are both ferns that occur commonly as natives in the UK, and are commonly available as garden plants.

The one with the small leaves and black stems is "Maidenhair Spleenwort" (Asplenium trichomanes), and the other one is a Common Polypody (Polypodium "vulgare").

The spleenwort is best in a wall, but you can grow it on the ground among rocks, the Polypody will grew on the ground, on a dry stone walls or as an epiphyte. The spleenwort does transplant very well, but you could try it from spores. Polypody is fine as a transplant, but you might need to pack the rhizome with moss to get it growing again.

Because it looks like the wall is granite, you might find that the particular Polypody won't grow on limy grounds or walls, there are three very similar looking species, but they have different requirements.

cheers Darrel

Back