• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Home Bargains tank...

minnnt

As some of you know i was hoping to get a little Fluval Spec. Well, unfortunately it arrived broken. :( So, not to be out done i was going to get something similar. Ended up going for a little tank that i had seen on my travels from Home Bargains. And a bargain it was!! :D £12!!!! :p

Tank: 31cm x 18cm x 24cm
Lighting: Clip on LED light from the broken Fluval Spec
Substrate: Alpine Red gravel from B&Q
Hard Scape: Dark grey rocks
Filtration: Small air driven filter with noodles and sponge (supplied with the tank along with a 120LPH air pump)
Water circulation: Power head again from the broken Fluval Spec. 150LPH
Fertiliser: Complete EI - 2ml daily
Co2: Seachem Flourish Excel - 1ml daily

Flora:
Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis
Hemianthus Callitrichoides ( :crazy: :woot: :thumbdown: :silent: )
Cryptocoryne Amicorum

Fauna:
None as of yet, possibly just some Shrimp for the time being. A friend is trying to talk me round into having a Betta Splendens in there, but i am a little wary. :lol:

May swap the light for something with a little more umph. Maybe one of the Fluval clip ons from the EBI or Flora.

Right, here are a couple of pics as it stands now. Let me know what you think. If there is anything i should change then tell me. :D

6864008401_49fffe61ae_z.jpg
13L Nano by David Raynham, on Flickr

6864021111_03eafcca01_z.jpg

6864013759_8c54c4036b_z.jpg

Amazing what you can get for less than a purple note (although with all the bits it was a bit more than that I guess). Looks good David. How on EARTH did you plant anything in that gravel ! Its a great colour, but I am not convinced on the size. You asked for suggestions, and even though I am new myself, I would prefer one of the three right hand rocks to be 50% larger than the other two. Its got great potential though. :)

Looking nice :) so you didn't get a replacement for the fluval tank?

Thanks Callum. The tank was a private sale, but all credit to the seller he is going to refund me my money.

Antipofish, the gravel looks bigger than it actually is, but I am considering replacing it with some brown dennerle stuff.

Light is now on a timer too for 8 hours a day.

I have this tank too, it was to house my cichlid fry last year. The filter is no good though, its only suitable for shrimp I'd say!
But it is a bargain, you have yours quite nice!
Fair play to the seller refunding you too.

Kris

Its coz im such a nice guy ;D

Been lurking for a while myself without posting, at least the light unit was useful mate! :D

Post office will be getting many snotty emails from me, im going in for the kill ;D

tizer said:

Been lurking for a while myself without posting, at least the light unit was useful mate! :D

Post office will be getting many snotty emails from me, im going in for the kill ;D

FYI, even without insurance, items are insured for the value of up to 100 first class stamps, so you should be getting £46 back from them as a max :) Not sure if the postage charge is refundable on top of this or as part of it. Hope this helps :)

Antipofish said:
tizer said:

FYI, even without insurance, items are insured for the value of up to 100 first class stamps, so you should be getting £46 back from them as a max :) Not sure if the postage charge is refundable on top of this or as part of it. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for info! :D

You will only get any sort of refund from Royal Mail if you have proof of postage. If not they do not want to know about it no matter how many times you try. I had a parcel get lost and I had paid the extra insurance on top due to the value. Took 2 letters and a phone call to get any money back out of them!

Hope you get it sorted.

Andy

awtong said:
You will only get any sort of refund from Royal Mail if you have proof of postage. If not they do not want to know about it no matter how many times you try. I had a parcel get lost and I had paid the extra insurance on top due to the value. Took 2 letters and a phone call to get any money back out of them!

Hope you get it sorted.

Andy

He does. :D and a load of pictures to prove the damage.

Anyone have any experience of the Dennerle nano substrate for shrimps blah blah blah what ever it is? Would that be better? If not then can anyone suggest something? Wanting a brown coloured one...

Also replaced the rock in the right hand side corner for a larger one as suggested.

Quick udate. Tank has changed quite a lot. Scrounged some gravel from another tank to see if it looked better and found it to my liking so i have stuck with it.

Hardscape has changed aswell... Gone with a small branchy bit of wood. It has some narrow leaved java fern attatched to it. Also added some Crytopcoryne Wendtii Brown and some Cryptocoryne Amicorum.

Plan to add some moss to the cut ends of the branches (thanks JenCliBee ;) ) in an attempt to stop them standing out like a sore thumb. lol.

Added a small 25w heater and 4 small Cherry Shrimp also from another tank.

If the HC starts to faulter then i will increase the lighting and up the dosing, but all seems good up to now. Experiencing some melt from the Wendtii's, but that is to be expected, they have been in about 3 different tanks within the last month and then in a bucket with cold water for the last week. nevermind, they should recover well.

Let me know what you think. :)

6903525243_1819cc22e3_z.jpg
Nano FTS by David Raynham, on Flickr

Looks much better mate, one thing I might say is that the two twigs in the middle look a bit symmetrical IMO. Like the new gravel too!
Kris

Lol, hahahaha!!!

Point taken about the symetrical branches, will try and spin it around and see what it looks like. :) Still need to moss the branches aswell...

These tanks are great for the price, although they have gone up in price. They were only 8.99 last year.

Yeah i noticed the price hike too... typical. Should have brought 5 and stashed them in the loft. lol.

Wendtii Brown has been replaced with Blyxa and the wood has been switched around as suggested. :D Will get a couple of pics soon.

Back