• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

How big are 'XL' tropica plants??

rawr

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
604
Location
Enfield
I've always wondered this and I think a few other people have too, but after asking some online shops a few times never been given a definate or precise answer.
 

AdAndrews

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2009
Messages
1,125
Location
Kidderminster, Worcs
although i have never brought XL, i think its pot luck with the tropica plants, when setting up a previous tank i had an normal size java fern, but i have just recieved an huge one, nice big leaves, all healthy, not even the same plant.. dont your local MA do aquafleur aaron?
 

aaronnorth

Member
Thread starter
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
3,953
Location
worksop, nottinghamshire
AdAndrews said:
although i have never brought XL, i think its pot luck with the tropica plants, when setting up a previous tank i had an normal size java fern, but i have just recieved an huge one, nice big leaves, all healthy, not even the same plant.. dont your local MA do aquafleur aaron?


yes but they dont do "narrow" :bored:

thanks
 

rawr

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
604
Location
Enfield
I think your best bet would be to PM Richard at Aqua Essentials or The Green Machine to see what sort of size the ones they have in at the moment are.
 

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,080
Location
Cambridgeshire
If you're after instant impact then I can recommend the Tropica plants attached to wood.

Usually the wood is relatively small and the ferns can be massive. I've used a few now from Tropica and they've all been excellent. The wood piece can be easily hidden, so it doesn't impact on your 'scape, unless you want it to.

If you order from our sponsors you could ask them to pick one out that's suitable.

Check this bad boy out (not me, the fern! lol) -

throwfern.jpg
 

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,080
Location
Cambridgeshire
The ferns are, IME, especially if you can pick one, or get the supplier to pick for you.

I like to leave it attached, if possible, as it's so much easier to work with. If the wood is hidden behind a big fern then there's little point in potentially damaging the root structure.
 

aaronnorth

Member
Thread starter
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
3,953
Location
worksop, nottinghamshire
George Farmer said:
The ferns are, IME, especially if you can pick one, or get the supplier to pick for you.

I like to leave it attached, if possible, as it's so much easier to work with. If the wood is hidden behind a big fern then there's little point in potentially damaging the root structure.


Thanks, i think it might be a bit awkward attaching a piece of wood to a piece of wood thats all.
 

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,080
Location
Cambridgeshire
Good point!

I've only just realised where you're going to be putting it.

Usually I place them in a bigger wood 'housing' i.e. the base of a piece of redmoor with all the roots protruding from around it.

Your slender/single pieces of wood would make it tricky to achieve the same effect.

May be worth sticking to the XL pots then.

I apologise for the confusion, Aaron.
 

aaronnorth

Member
Thread starter
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
3,953
Location
worksop, nottinghamshire
George Farmer said:
Good point!

I've only just realised where you're going to be putting it.

Usually I place them in a bigger wood 'housing' i.e. the base of a piece of redmoor with all the roots protruding from around it.

Your slender/single pieces of wood would make it tricky to achieve the same effect.

May be worth sticking to the XL pots then.

I apologise for the confusion, Aaron.

no worries, you have been a great help :)
 

aaronnorth

Member
Thread starter
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
3,953
Location
worksop, nottinghamshire
rawr said:
Superman said:
Do they do an XL Java Fern Narrow?

Nope, I've enquuired about that several times. :rolleyes:

so that PM i have just sent to Richard was pointless then :lol: Normal or wood for me then.... they have an offer on thw normal pots now for £6 (usually £7.50)
Only trouble is it is too early and i dont want them to become algae infested :rolleyes:
 

rawr

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
604
Location
Enfield
Hmm, they might sell them but from what I can remember when I asked AE and TGM about it quite a few months ago now they both said they don't stock it.
 

aaronnorth

Member
Thread starter
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
3,953
Location
worksop, nottinghamshire
Superman said:
On this subject, I picked up a massive narrow fern on tropica wood from my LFS for only £18! It's huge, there must be at least 5 pots worth on there and it's well matured. I can't wait to properly plant it!

nice 8)
They have a 50% sale on at AE so i am just ordering some plants :D
 

Similar threads

Top