• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How do I get my plant in to market?

H..

I got this very beautiful mutated plant one year ago in my own emersed plant bucket, and over the winther I have pruned it and replanted, and it seems to be stable as I can see.
The mutation gives the plant slower growth, than original, but there is some spots with no green pigmentation, naturly it is slower. It looks to me that it could be an variegete because there is white and green in the leaves. And the top has an more pinkish colore rather than the original redish plants.

I think this Pogostemon Stellata is a beautiful plant with green/white/pink colorations. And I would like it to come out to the aquarists out there. Anyone with good contacts here? Or Ideas? How can I get this plant out to market? I tryed to contact some plant growers, but they wont even reply on the e-mails I have sent to them. And my facilities arent so big I can grow it comersially. Ofourse I would like to have some profit, but only reasonable amounts.

H.

ps1.jpg
ps2.jpg

ps3.jpg

It looks marvellous. In the UK we have the option to register new plant varieties. I'll put the link <here>. I would not imagine that there are any issues if you are overseas, but I'm happy to help. I also presume that there is a similar structure in Europe to distinguish breeders rights. Registering the plant I would imagine could make it more marketable. You would also be officially naming it.
Tropica (as suggested) might be an ideal partner. Tropica are <launching new plants> rather soon, and they have along history of innovation and experience bringing new plants into to the market. Invitro cultivation at home might be another option. You are ideally positioned within the EU market, but the world is a big place so might also benefit from licensing the plant regionally.

For instance...
It looks marvellous. In the UK we have the option to register new plant varieties. I'll put the link <here>. I would not imagine that there are any issues if you are overseas, but I'm happy to help. I also presume that there is a similar structure in Europe to distinguish breeders rights. Registering the plant I would imagine could make it more marketable. You would also be officially naming it.
Tropica (as suggested) might be an ideal partner. Tropica are <launching new plants> rather soon, and they have along history of innovation and experience bringing new plants into to the market. Invitro cultivation at home might be another option. You are ideally positioned within the EU market, but the world is a big place so might also benefit from licensing the plant regionally.
Thanks. I didnt know plants can be registered. Is there perhaps an similar EU registation?
Nope. Tropica didnt take it. 😔

I didnt know plants can be registered. Is there perhaps an similar EU registation?
Edited: Certain registered cultivars were offered protection as they were transferred between the EU and the UK post-Brexit but I am not sure how things stand now. I think most cultivators would be looking to register in all the jurisdictions where they intend to sell plants. Registering in the UK is quick, cheap and easy - so it is still a good place to start if you feel the inclination. The <Europa> website might have guidance for registering in the EU. It might be worth having a go at approaching Tropica in about 6 months time. I guess that they will be working on their next plants launch around then, and they might acquire some interest, and appreciate a second look at your variety. Maybe they might feel more confident if the breeding rights were being offered along with your specimen plants.

Last edited:
Hi all,
In vitro cultivation at home might be another option
There are companies that will do this <"Duchy College Micropropagation Unit">, I'm not sure of the economics of it.

<"Contact Tropica - Tropica Aquarium Plants">
Done. They didnt take it.
I'm guessing that is also down to economics, they aren't really interested in the more niche market, they want big volume sellers that fit in with their production techniques.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Have a look at companies that already produce pink/violet plants - they might want to synergise and create an entirely pink collection of plants to offer customers. When you meet them, feedback might be worth requesting. They might give you an insight as to how unique this mutation is. Personally, I think production is not actually that much of a barrier. There is an invitro company a couple of villages away from me, and quite a few around. You could just cut out the middleman and do it yourself, and if necessary employ an undergraduate to work on the weekends.

Last edited:
Maybe via some Facebook groups interested in rare aquatic plants... :)

Back