• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How do you combat the itch?

Stu1407

I'm loving my planted tank but in the last week or so I've had this burning desire to rip it to pieces just so I can start another aquascape. It's a really daft idea given that the current one is looking good and has matured nicely with no real problems but I can't get it out of my head.

I should also say that I have been tempted by Discus.

Last edited:
Is there a reason not to rescape? Sometimes things just run their course and it's ok to change stuff up even if there's nothing wrong per se. Take some nice pictures of your current scape to remember it by and then bid it farewell.

For me personally it's not a huge issue because I like to spend a lot of time planning and then take my time implementing. That's just my personality though - other people treat their scapes as short term installations as a matter of course. That probably works best if you have hardy, easy going livestock though - change is stressful.

My opinion, I’ve been in the hobby for a while (2009) . Since 2019 I properly got into it and subsequently have spent about 20k since then, all because I couldn’t satisfy the itch.

The one regret and one thing I’ve learned is. I wish I just stuck to one tank and one idea and saw it through as a long term project.

I’ve kept high end aquascapes, low tech, reef tanks and fish only, done everything from Mbuna, brackish puffers to SPS reef.

I’m sick of spending money, I’ve loved having a few months off from keeping a tank, my last setup being a high end Zoanthids garden with £3000 worth of coral that I subsequently just give away, becasue I’ve had enough.

If I set my currently empty tank up again, it will be a long term and we’ll thought out tank.

This post isn’t by any means an ego inflation to show off I have disposable income. I hope it’s a lesson to someone, to be patient, give it some time and try to appreciate what you have. That doesn’t mean you can’t change it, but I implore you to have a real hard think first.

Back