• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How good do the plants need to be at the outset ?

A

Antipofish

Hi, most of the plants I see at LFS's have algae on them to one degree or another. Should these be avoided at all costs and only completely algae free plants be used or is it ok to start with slightly less than perfect ones ?

Thanks

As I thought, but good to have to confirmation, cheers guys.

I'm having one last bash at a high tec tank and so far the only plants doing really well are the 1 2 grow plants I used all the questionable quality plants I used are melting or deed.

OK great stuff. I will only go for the decent ones. My LFS's are pretty good with giving me the heads up so I will try and get first dibs. They have also said they would order anything I wanted. Just wanted to know the score on what level of quality to expect.

Hello,
Here's something to chew on:
If CO2 and nutrients are excellent then it doesn't matter what the condition of the plants are when you buy them (unless they are already dead). If there is a particular species of plant that you want, and if it's hard to find, then get it and feed it. What the plant can look like has nothing to do with algae, and has everything to do with genetics and nutrition. I routinely buy algae ridden, scruffy looking plants and nurse them back to health. What's the big deal? Do you imagine that the plants that you buy that look great don't have algae on them? Algae is there, you just can't see it.

Clearly, if you have a choice, then it's always better to get plants that are in tip-top condition, and of course if you are paying for something then you should get what you pay for. But what happens if you don't have a choice due to your location or due to mitigating circumstances? Learning to grow plants means understanding the causes of algae and the causes of other problems and it means learning how to avoid or resolve those problems. You should never be afraid of a plant just because it has algae on it. Instead you should endeavor to learn how to grow plants algae free.

Here's an example. Can you see the condition of the two plants in the background? Horrible right? Would you buy them? No, nobody would.
2279430870038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

A few months later:
2236355060038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

Cheers,

spyder said:
Maybe you could nurse some back to health but why bother. Would you buy sick wilting plants in a garden centre, you know the ones with leaves all dropping off them?

Yep, because they're usually discounted 8)

Thanks CEG. What plant is that ?
I appreciate your input and of course, that makes sense.

Back