• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How long can you store water?

Ady34 said:
Does that mean im wasting my money on chlorine and chloromine remover when im leaving my water overnight (24hrs) before adding to my tank, or am i best off continuing to add it just incase?
Thanks,
Ady.

I do the same purely to get water to room temp. Interested to know also.

Ady34 said:
Does that mean im wasting my money on chlorine and chloromine remover when im leaving my water overnight (24hrs) before adding to my tank, or am i best off continuing to add it just incase?
Thanks,
Ady.
Nope not wasting money as often water the treatment you add to your water also "takes out" heavy metals that might be present in the water (copper etc), as well a chlorine and chloramine.

Years ago (maybe 20 odd), before Prime etc people used to either bubble an airstone through their stored water for 24hour before using or make their own dechlorinator using Hypo (sodium thiosulfate) from photographic shops (its fixer I think).

More here.http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/chlorine-chloramine

ian_m said:
Ady34 said:
Thanks,
Ady.
Nope not wasting money as often water the treatment you add to your water also "takes out" heavy metals that might be present in the water (copper etc), as well a chlorine and chloramine.

Years ago (maybe 20 odd), before Prime etc people used to either bubble an airstone through their stored water for 24hour before using or make their own dechlorinator using Hypo (sodium thiosulfate) from photographic shops (its fixer I think).

More here.http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/chlorine-chloramine
Thanks for that, ill keep adding the water treatment.

Hi all,
Yes, "hypo" is the fixer that reacts with the silver bromide in B/W photography.
Is well worth a read.
If the water is stored in a sealed container does the chlorine stay in solution then?
No, it is an efficient disinfectant because it is a very strong oxidizing agent. This means that it forms compounds very easily and will react with any cations like sodium (Na+) or calcium (Ca++) to form sodium chloride (NaCl), calcium chloride (CaCl2), as well as any organic matter to form organochlorines like chloromethane etc.

Sodium thiosulphate (Na2S2O3•5H2O,) de-chlorinaters work by producing NaCl as well.
(As well as other compounds ~ 2Na2S2O3 + HOCl > Na2S4O6 + NaCl + NaOH)

Chloramines are slightly different, chloramine has a much longer half life in the tap water. The reason chloramines persist is due to their lower oxidative (redox) potential. They degrade to chlorine and ammonia (NH3/NH4+) relatively slowly, meaning that extra ammonia (and chlorine) is constantly added to the tank water.

A conditioner like "Amquel" or "Prime" contains sodium hydroxymethanesulphonate, as well as sodium thiosulphate, and works by combining the free ammonia into larger, more complex, molecules like H2NCH2SO3Na, a sodium aminomethanesulphonate salt.

You can actually ignore any potential heavy metal poisoning, the EU regulations are really tight, and all the water companies are adding sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and orthophosphate (PO4---) to remove the chance of any copper (Cu) or lead (Pb) ending up in solution.

cheers Darrel

Back