• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How many is too many plants?

DTM61

Hi all,

I'm just about ready to put my plant order in but getting concerned I've gone overboard.

The tank is a low tech 35l which will be planted heavily on one side but mainly open on the other. Just how far can these invitro pots go? How close do I space the portions of plants apart?

My plant order so far consists of :
Limnobium laevigatum tropica x1
Anubias nana mini x1
Crypt lucens x1
Microsorum narrow leaf x2
Ludwigia mini super red x1
Buce kedagang tropica x1
Pogostemon erectus x1
Anubias petite x1

Too many? Anything I definitely shouldn't use? All help very much appreciated!

Forgot to mention, I'll be using tnc carbon and dennerle daily fertiliser as required, along with the dennerle aquascape soil. Light is the one in the dennerle scaper's tank kit @5w.

dennerle daily fertiliser
The Dennerle range of ferts are one range of ferts we have been comparing in our new fert calculator, their unique fert system is somewhat confusing IMO, plus their fert products are not the cheapest, when the bottle gets low I would switch to TNC complete which for your setup will provide better value for money. DIY ferts are the cheapest, but for your setup probably not worth the effort. Dennerle have some great products which fit the hobby, but plants dont care about which brand of fert you use .

The Dennerle range of ferts are one range of ferts we have been comparing in our new fert calculator, their unique fert system is somewhat confusing IMO, plus their fert products are not the cheapest, when the bottle gets low I would switch to TNC complete which for your setup will provide better value for money. DIY ferts are the cheapest, but for your setup probably not worth the effort. Dennerle have some great products which fit the hobby, but plants dont care about which brand of fert you use .
Thanks Zeus, I'll have a look at TNC complete now. Do you think the plant list is overkill? Should I add more stem plants? Thanks again.

Do you think the plant list is overkill?
No, you can never have too many in some ways, its more a case of getting the right size plants to suit your tank size and scape, plus ones you like, some will do well, others will struggle a bit, and others will die. With a 35l tank I would say go for small leaves and be careful of the fast growers otherwise they can take over

IMHO - the only time that you have too many plants is if some of your fish need to feed from the bottom, like Discus, and your plants prevent them from doing so.

Back