• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much Can you Have!

Franko44

Hi Guys, I am now setting up a new 150cmL * 56cmH * 40cmW tank, and am thinking of having ever 4 * 54watt T5 or 6 * 54watt T5.. or should I have five... Do not care about the cost... Just wait to get it just right... :crazy:

I have read about the 2WPG bit, but she is quite deep at 56cm of water depth and then about 60 to the tubes?

What do you guys think, all help welcome... :thumbup:

Well most of the spectacular tanks featured on the forum operate on two T5s, my tank is 500mm deep & works very well on 2xT5.
More light requires more gas, perhaps more gas than fish can tolerate.
You really dont need that much light to get good plant growth - what you do need is very careful thought about Co2 distribution.
I guess if you really feel you need to try with more light then 4xT5?

I would choose the lights to suit your eye because your plants will adjust to virtually any colour spectrum.
At the moment I am useing one 4000k & one 6500k but, I quite often swap the bulbs around just for a change!
I also use a blue moon T8 for an hour before the T5s come on an an hour after they go off - just for a bit of sunrise sunset effect.
If you have a good budget then perhaps consider some LED lighting :wideyed:

Well not sure if better is the right term but, amazing piece of kit - very powerful deep penetrating light source, low power consumption for the amount of light & you can control them with a optional automatic dimming control :wideyed: 8)
The down side is price @ about £250 each - have a look here http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=14445 or revise TMC light tile.

They are claiming LED's have better spectrum spread than halides or T5 and enhancing plant their growth. I ordered yesterday some I cracked my wallet. For 150cm you may be fine with just 3 tiles or get stripes around 6. Anyway start with less you can add more later :)

Back