• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How not to take care of algae

Hanuman

Once in a while I come across posts like this one over facebook. Guy is explaining how to take care of algae by sprinkling some CuSO4.... sigh.

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 20.10.15.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
You might be interested in Tom Barr's @plantbrain comments in this thread <"Ecological Stoichiometry & Algae.">.
Yes copper sulphate is commonly used as a herbicide but also in some medication and snail control products but it needs to be dosed appropriately. In a home tank however I think using straight CuSO4 like the guy is suggesting without any dosage is dangerous and irresponsible. We normally merely add 0.00x ppm of it in our fertilizer because it's needed in trace amounts but it quickly becomes toxic if overdosed specially for invertebrates and bacteria.

I think using straight CuSO4 like the guy is suggesting without any dosage is dangerous and irresponsible.
Dangerous and irresponsible to promote indeed :oops:
Copper toxicity is heavily reliant on water hardness as well, so even if soft water users follow dosing advice from hard water users, things can still go very wrong 😬

Guy is explaining how to take care of algae by sprinkling some CuSO4.... sigh.
Geez... that is crazy!

We normally merely add 0.00x ppm of it in our fertilizer because it's needed in trace amounts but it quickly becomes toxic if overdosed specially for invertebrates and bacteria.

Yes, and Copper tend to accumulate at the substrate level. If disturbed or you have a long term drop in pH it is very possible that mature substrate exposed to long term Copper dosing could release enough Copper into the water column to kill your invertebrates. Copper is one of those I would rather not dose in my shrimp tank if I could avoid it quite frankly, but the plants needs it apparently - it would be an interesting experiment to see how long one could go without dosing any Cu (which is immobile) before deficiency signs appear? @_Maq_ ?

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
The worst of all is that this guy is a reasonably known plant and product seller in the hobby as well as a so called "facebook group expert" in a few facebook groups so people will start doing what he does without question. Look at the tint of that jug 🤯

Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 07.29.40.jpg

Last edited:
Ridiculously stupid....there are other ways of combating algae!
Turn the lights down.....and throw a whole load of fast growing stem plants onto the surface.

Ridiculously stupid....there are other ways of combating algae!
Turn the lights down.....and throw a whole load of fast growing stem plants onto the surface.
Exactly what I commented on his post but it looks like people are more interested in pics and videos rather than in facts and common sense.

Exactly what I commented on his post but it looks like people are more interested in pics and videos rather than in facts and common sense.
Well, it is like that in certain group and most aquascaper in our country. From my experience with the group and aquascaping stores They don’t seems to have scientific knowledge at all and often bash/look down on people who doesn’t have money to use CO2 and chiller on easy plants. And If anything gone bad in the tank just add bacteria bottles.

I’ve just saw someone posting about why his sword plant dying and the comments are full of people people who recommend CO2 and Chillers.

Well, it is like that in certain group and most aquascaper in our country. From my experience with the group and aquascaping stores They don’t seems to have scientific knowledge at all
That's the same assessment I have made. It looks like the priority for them is to sell.
And If anything gone bad in the tank just add bacteria bottles.
ahah yes very typical here. I have seen that countless times. Or just add a bunch of anti-algea products no matter the consequences.

Hi all,
looks like people are more interested in pics and videos rather than in facts and common sense.
If disturbed or you have a long term drop in pH it is very possible that mature substrate exposed to long term Copper dosing could release enough Copper into the water column to kill your invertebrates.
Yes, it is a mad idea, why would you want to add lots of copper (Cu) to your tank?
That's the same assessment I have made. It looks like the priority for them is to sell.
I think that has hit the nail on the head. Those are really the problems we face, <"a nuanced answer">, couched <"in neutral terms">, is actually <"less likely to find favour"> with the "general public". Add in short attention span and people who purely interested in <"short term profit"> and you have a perfect storm.

The other issue is that, in the short term, the copper (Cu) will "work" <"Effects of copper sulfate algaecide on the cell growth, physiological characteristics, the metabolic activity of Microcystis aeruginosa and raw water application - PubMed">, and people are often interested in instant success, black and white answers and a visual "sound-bite".

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back