• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to get height at the back

toadass

Hi guys
Just a quicky, just setting up a 60p. I want quite a bit of height at the rear of the tank.
Is there anything people use to raise the height at the back og the tank?
Just seems a waste of good substrate and very expensive to use around 7 inches of amazonia at the rear of a tank!!!

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks guys

heres some pummice in mine

6680370137_260b4de91f_b.jpg
90x45x45cm Planted Tank by Stu Worrall Photography, on Flickr

Hi Stu, long time no chat. Hope you had a great Christmas / New Year.

I like the idea of what you did above, BUT did you have any issues with plants rooting into the media bags and then causing damage when pulling them out ? (Or if you are one of those gifted guys who just plants and leaves stuff without faffing about like I do, do you think you MIGHT have had such trouble if you HAD decided to move plants around ? Cheers.

If Id have put crypts there then I may have had problems but there was a good few inches of aquasoil above and I dont tend to move plants around anyway as you just end up with amonia spikes. Also it was just stems planted above this which dont root deeply :)

I would put crypts in pits if you were planning to plant on different levels. Makes moving things alot easier and you can simply snip the roots. This is what I have been doing recently.

I would put crypts in pits if you were planning to plant on different levels. Makes moving things alot easier and you can simply snip the roots. This is what I have been doing recently.

I presume you mean pots. Can you elaborate ? Whats in the pot ? How do you keep them in there ? My crypts grow huge long roots so how do you keep them in the pot even?

If I need to move a crypt I pull it up about an inch or two then use curved nail scissors pushed under the substrate to cut the roots till its free then just leave the roots under the substrate always follow any major plant moving with a large water change fish and shrimp have all remained fine using this method hope this helps

Yes was a typo. In the pots that the plants normally come in or normally I have spare. I simply repot with some padding and as tim said simply lift the pot a few inches up and then cut the roots. However in the near future small plantlets may pop back but thats a bonus :)

I wish I found this thread before emptying my whole bag of 9 litre amazonia into the aquarium...... oh well. I wil book mark it for later! :(

Back