• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to get rid of Green Hair Algae ?

kellyboy47

I have in the past couple of months won a hard long battle in eliminating Cyanobacteria by using Ultralife Blue-Green Slime remover which I am thankful for, however
I now have an explosion of Green Hair Algae and would just like to know how I can combat this ?
Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated

I quite like it, I find an aquarium beats it back on its own providing its established and you’ve got it right on nutrient export - getting a lot of floating plants will help.

Alternatively you can use barley extract or straw and that seems to also work.

Alternatively you can use barley extract or straw
Can you confirm that either of them worked for you in aquarium? I've tried barley straw once, a couple of years ago, and it did no good.

Can you confirm that either of them worked for you in aquarium? I've tried barley straw once, a couple of years ago, and it did no good.

Yes, I thought it made a difference

Alternatively you can use barley extract or straw and that seems to also work
The only liquid form barley extract I have found in internet shops only mentions pond usage so would it also be suitable for aquariums ?

Hair algae for me tends to appear where water moves faster. eg filter outlets, I just clean them each week and put it down to over feeding, my gavel vac is sort of brownish & I do it weekly. I never figured out the why it happens bit & just try to pull it out as and when it occurs.

StackPath this is not bad guide to start with.
In my case I had green hair algae for improper lighting (very long duration and intensity)
I`m not an expert but there is mainly 3 reasons for algae:
1. Light. I will start by decreasing and intesity and shorting photoperiod
2. CO2.
3. Nutrition imbalance.

So maybe it will be good if you will post:
1. Size of tanks
2. Filtration
3. Fertilization
4. Lighting
5. Plant mass.
6. Stock

Based on this information forum member can provide better help/advise.
And just dosing chemical is not a solution, it will be back.

I have in the past couple of months won a hard long battle in eliminating Cyanobacteria by using Ultralife Blue-Green Slime remover which I am thankful for, however
I now have an explosion of Green Hair Algae and would just like to know how I can combat this ?
Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated
You need to cut down your lighting intensity and duration!
Lean dosing the fertilizers will help!
Add floating plants or use fast-growing stems to cover the surface area!!!

Green Hair Algae
As @GHNelson above is good advice. But to fire fight till things get more stable try Algaway by ARKA Bioteclologie. I have not used this myself but noted the dose and active ingredient and made my own.
It is not magic or instant, it stops green algae from multiplying so physically remove as much as you can. It may also promote plant growth. It contains a very small amount of salicylic acid (only technically an acid).
I am sure that other over the counter aquarium algaecides contain salicylic acid as it is dirt cheap and photodegrades.
Good luck with your tank.

Last edited:
Back