• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to improve flow in filter of aquanano 55

ddam19

Hi all.

I have just bought a aquanano 55 and the flow in the tank is fine also a mini tunze power head for the bottom of the tank but the flow through the filter doesn't seem to good.

Any ideas on how to improve flow through filter but not tank.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Depends on how your tank is stocked, but you could get rid of some of the filter sponge. If you don't have many fish and not a lot of debris floating about, less sponge will increase flow. Also, less ceramic noodles in the back will help, they give you way too many imo. You could also make the intake holes wider, but it might like a bit ugly and you'd need some mesh to stop fish getting sucked in.

Worse case, do what I did, cut out the back section and get an external filter.

Thanks Julian,

I currently only have water in a moment. Sand tonight.

I wanted to add more media thats why i wanted to improve flow. I didn't get any noodles as i think its the never model where its has two cartages one with floss and carbon and one with sponge and noodle. Then the large sponge.

I can't afford to remove the back section at the moment but that might be a future project. I'm thinking i may just get a larger pump and add a spray bar to spread the flow.

Thanks

Hi,
what sort of extra media were you thinking of and for any particular reason?
I had the older aquanano 55 and the filter was excellent i felt. I added a bag of purigen without any ill effects. Are you aware of the flow adjustment on the pump as you can increase/decrease flow accordingly?
cheerio,
Ady.

Bio balls have much better flow than ceramic noodles by the way, more surface area too I think?

I just like as much media as possible for my livestock. Think I know how I'm doing it now. Getting some K1 media and will have room for more carbon or purigen if needed in the future.
Thanks

Back