• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to make DIY TPN+?

will precipitates of iron be unbound by root chemistry i the substrate?

are you only using distilled water to ensure ratios of dissolved elements stay the same ... ie a clean slate

would any old vit c be appropriate?

fishgeek said:
will precipitates of iron be unbound by root chemistry i the substrate?
I've been using this solution for a few months now and I haven't got any noticable deficiencies so I'm guessing the roots can get at the nutrients.

I'll also say that I make batches of 1.5l and don't have any settling or change in colour etc. My plants are growing beautifully.

are you only using distilled water to ensure ratios of dissolved elements stay the same ... ie a clean slate
I don't, I use tap water same as I put in my tank, seeing as I do 50% water changes with it weekly I figured that an extra 10ml a day of it wont hurt! I do boil it (and allow to cool!) before I make the solution though.

would any old vit c be appropriate?
Well I wouldn't go for the fizzing orange flavoured ones if I were you! Basically it needs to be the same concentration as ascorbic acid and the only way to guarantee that is to buy the actual powder. You can get it on ebay nice and cheap.

I'm having trouble sourcing Ascobic acid cheap. Brew shop has 50g which comes to over £5 with shipping. I guess it's not too much but it'd be nice if I could find it cheaper! :)

Can't find any on eBay at the moment...

Edit: Unless I search for Ascorbic acid! :rolleyes:

You could make a pretty packet buying all the powders in bulk then bagging up the right quantities for the basic TPN+ recipe and selling them as a 'just add water' mix!

If only I had the time to actually do it!

I've just made my first batch :) My scales are very accurate it seems. Couldn't even weight out 1g so I've had to best guess the Ascorbic and stabiliser :?

Fingers crossed eh? Ooh, is it supposed to go green? Mine seems a little brown/AE trace coloured. I'm wondering if I should add a little more stabiliser just in case?

SteveUK said:
Fingers crossed eh? Ooh, is it supposed to go green? Mine seems a little brown/AE trace coloured. I'm wondering if I should add a little more stabiliser just in case?
Mine's the trace colour too, I think it depends on what colour traces you have. It seems to be fine.

Good to know. Dosed my first 4.5ml this morning... It seemed to have turned a tiny bit greener by this morning. I've read that you need to keep this in a dark place, is it fine to keep in the fridge?

Got all my stuff from AE and it turned green straight away, i keep it in the cupboard and it is still the same colour after a few weeks, used digital scales to measure amounts and only used boiled tapwater left to cool.

I have been looking at getting the stuff to make some of this mix up, The only thing is i have no scales can the weights of the powders be converted to teaspoons? or is it a case of some scales are needed?

Cheers Gordon.

Hiya,

Has anyone decided to do TPN+ recipe and selling them as a 'just add water' mix?

Not that I'm aware of as most people like to tweak the recipe to their own needs.

My last batch went mouldy, but as my scales were really quite crap (seemed to be able to measure only in 2g increments!) I think I didn't have enough E202. Got some digi scales today so about to make another batch :)

I don't measure properly any more, I just add a bit that looks about right! (I know it's awful but that's how I do cooking and it seems to work ok!) I seem to remember that James once converted weights of the preservatives into teaspoon values.

I am on my second batch now and very happy with it, I have increased the doses silightly from my original calculations has I got some algae, but then again I am running 144w of T5 over my Rio! With the dosing pump this is the easiest I have ever run a tank, very happy with the purchase, auto dosing is really the way to go.

Back