• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to make the Most of This Space?

Buggy

I live in a small flat, and finding room for aquariums can be difficult. Since moving in a year ago there has been a gap in a kitchen counter that never stops calling out to be filled with a tank. To be clear, the kitchen counter is more in a living room environment, and not really in a kitchen.

Please excuse the crudity of this diagram:

counter.png

As you can see, the two sides come out at differing lengths. Above is a kitchen counter that already houses two aquariums. Thankfully, on the back wall is a plug socket.

Perhaps a tank that is 30cm in length and depth would do? But how that depth would work with the shorter side I'm not sure. Also I need to think of how much head room I'd need for tank maintenance.

I'd obviously need to have something for it to sit on. But this would have to be not only short in height but also strong enough to hold the weight.

Does anybody have experience of squeezing an aquarium into a tight space? Or anybody have any bright ideas?

You’re going to want/need to get behind the tank so I would probably go for a 30cm cube or a 45p stood slightly forward of the walls.
I was looking at 30cm cubes last night. I think, realistically, it's the maximum size I should go for. What to put it on though I'm not sure. I've been looking at wood slices, which could be an option.

A terrarium might fill the gap nicely. Without water you could lift it out for maintence that wouldn't be as frequent.
Hmmn, I hadn't considered a terrarium for that spot. I have been looking into them, but more for positions where an aquarium would be too heavy, like a bookcase. But that's definitely something to consider.

Don't know about you, but I can see two 40x25x25cm shrimp tanks in there - easy peasy :D

I'd do wide and shallow, with a big lump of wood that came out the top and grew things up. I think a 57W x 20h would look more deliberately built in than a cube. Might be worth looking at paludarium setups, see if there is anything that fits the gap.

If you wanted off the shelf, would a fluval spec be about the right width. It's not very deep front to back so I'd put a planter behind set so the rim was level with the tank top rim and plant that up to make use of the full depth.

I'd lift it to match the bottom of the cupboard door, run the line across, again makes it look deliberate and gets it out the way off feet, but still leaves plenty of room above.

I'd do wide and shallow, with a big lump of wood that came out the top and grew things up. I think a 57W x 20h would look more deliberately built in than a cube. Might be worth looking at paludarium setups, see if there is anything that fits the gap.

If you wanted off the shelf, would a fluval spec be about the right width. It's not very deep front to back so I'd put a planter behind set so the rim was level with the tank top rim and plant that up to make use of the full depth.

I'd lift it to match the bottom of the cupboard door, run the line across, again makes it look deliberate and gets it out the way off feet, but still leaves plenty of room above.
Any ideas on what to use as a stand? I like your mention of matching the bottom of the cupboard door. I am not very DIY minded.

Any ideas on what to use as a stand? I like your mention of matching the bottom of the cupboard door. I am not very DIY minded.
The easiest option would probably be kitchen unit legs/plinth feet, they'll be what's under your kitchen units to hold them up, they are adjustable and fit with a couple of screws into the piece of wood that's the base. You should be able to pick them up from most diy shops. You could use any piece of wood, but I'd be inclined to see if you can get a piece of side panel board that matches your units and a piece of plinth (the piece of wood under the cupboard door) to continue along. A piece of matching work top would be another option to make it look like it was build in. Facebook can be a good source of second hand bits of kitchen to chop up it looks like a beech colour so should be fairly easy to match.

You could get a kitchen fitter to do it for you, but not sure how much they'd want to charge - it would be quick and simple but they might not want to come out for a small job.

Back