• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How would you plant this tank?

Hi all,

I'm currently putting together my first tank and have just finished the hardscape. As a total novice who has never even owned a goldfish bowl before, I would really appreciate some advice. First some info on the setup:
  • The tank's an older style Juwel Rio 400 and is 150cm long and 55cm deep.
  • With the hardscape in place I estimate a water capacity of around 350L.
  • My tap water hovers around 7.6pH and 18GH.
  • The water temp is 24/25C.
  • It's a low energy tank (i.e. no CO2 injection or regular dosing with ferts)
  • The lighting consists of 2 Aquaray GroBeam 600 units installed about 5cm above the water line.
  • I'd like to use a 10-12 hour photoperiod.
  • The substrate consists of soil with a sand cap.
  • The driftwood has been stripped of bark and soaked for 4 weeks.
The soil is J. Arthur Bower's 'John Innes No 3' Compost mixed with Sainsbury's Basics Cat Litter in a 4:1 ratio. It was soaked several times and then left to dry for several weeks before being placed in the tank. The sand is Unipac Black Limpopo. I'm on a pretty tight budget and so collected all the hardscape materials myself. The wood is a mixture of oak and beech gathered from local woods. The stones are quartzite from Cannock Chase.

The idea was to build something resembling the bed of a stream that had been subject to a big flood in the past. I wanted the stones and driftwood to look like they had been washed down by a torrent following from right to left. Obviously in nature these stones would never be found with this sand, but I really like the colour contrast. Hopefully it doesn't look too contrived.

Here's a snap. Apologies for the overexposed and generally poor picture (and the smears all over the tank glass). Once again, this is my first attempt at a hardscape and clearly I'm not expecting it to win any awards.

VvjbMg6.jpg

My first questions relate to the tree stump on the right. I'd like to grow some moss to cover the string which is securing it to the tank floor. Any ideas what type of moss would take to the hard and smooth wood? Also, I drilled out the inside of the left part of the stump to create a hole about 5cm deep. I've filled this with substrate and would like to plant something in it that won't look ridiculously out of place (not moss though). Any suggestions? Here's a closeup.

rOAQbkP.jpg

Secondly, when I constructed the mound on the left I buried a network of PVC pipes to serve as tunnels and caves for the catfish I intend to put in the tank. This resulted in areas around the tunnel entrances being so steep that no sand will hold. In these places the soil is directly exposed to the water. Thanks to the cat litter the soil currently has the consistency of modelling clay and is holding tight. However, with prolonged exposure to the water movement I expect it to start being eroded. Can anyone recommend any fast growing mosses (Java Moss?) that will shore up the entrances and be happy growing directly on the soil? Here's a couple of snaps that highlight the issue.

MIybsB5.jpg

ZCflwo7.jpg

Lastly, I've no definite plans for the flora in the tank beyond ensuring that the back and sides have tall background plants. Apparently they are needed to provide visual cues to the Wrestling Halfbeaks I want keep. Without the plants they have a tendency to crash into the glass and damage their beaks.

With that in mind any general suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Should also say, this is the list of low light plants that I'm working from. I found it on another forum and should credit it, but unfortunately I can't remember now where it was. If any of these plants jump out at you as being inappropriate for this tank then please let me know.

FERNS & MOSSES
Marimo Ball- Aegagropila linnaei
African Water Fern - Bolbitis heudelotii
Watersprite - Ceratopteris thalictroides
Pheonix Moss - Fissidens fontanus
Zipper Moss - Fissidens zippelianus
Willow Moss - Fontinalis antipyretica
Philippine Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus 'Philippine'
Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus
Red Java fern - Microsorum pteropus "red"
Windelov Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
Narrow Leaf Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus v. 'narrow leaf'
Pellia - Monosolenium tenerum
Mini Pellia - Riccardia chamedryfolia
Riccia - Riccia fluitans
Round Pellia - Süßwassertang
Flame Moss - Taxiphyllum alternans
Java Moss - Taxiphyllum barbieri
Peacock Moss - Taxiphyllum sp. 'peacock'
Taiwan Moss - Taxiphyllum sp.
Singapore Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
Christmas Moss - Vesicularia montagnei
Erect Moss - Vesicularia reticulata

STEM PLANTS
Waterwheel Plant - Aldrovanda vesiculosa
Bacopa monnieri
Bacopa - Bacopa caroliniana
Moneywort - Bocapa monnieri
Hornwort - Ceratophylum demersum
Anacharis - Egeria densa
American Waterweed- Elodea canadensis
HC- Hemianthus callitrichoides
Stargrass - Heteranthera zosterifolia
Brazilian Pennywort - Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Water Pennywort - Hydrocotyle ranunculoides
Ceylon Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma 'Ceylon'
Giant Hygro - Hygrophila corymbosa
Water Wisteria - Hygrophila difformis
Green Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma
Sunset Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Dwarf Ambulia - Limnophila sessiliflora
Red Ludwigia- Ludwigia repens
Parrots Feather - Myriophyllum aquaticum
Guppy Grass - Najas guadalupensis
Downoi - Pogostemon helferi

FLOATERS
Hornwort - Ceratophylum demersum
Anacharis - Egeria densa
Brazilian Pennywort - Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Water Pennywort- Hydrocotyle ranunculoides
Duckweed - Lemna minor
Parrots Feather - Myriophyllum aquaticum
Red Root Floater - Phyllanthus fluitans
Riccia - Riccia fluitans
Giant Slavinia - Salvinia molesta

CRYPTOCORYNE
Crypt Affinis - Cryptocoryne affinis
Crypt Aponogetifolia - Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia
Crypt Balansae - Cryptocoryne balansae
Crypt Beckettii- Cryptcoryne beckettii
Crypt Lutea - Cryptocoryne lutea
Micro Crypt - Cryptocoryne petchii
Pygmy Crypt - Cryptocoryne pygmaea
Crypt retrospiralis - Cryptocoryne retrospiralis
Crypt spiralis - Cryptocoryne spiralis
Crypt Walkeri - Cryptocoryne walkeri
Crypt Wendtii - Cryptocoryne wendtii
Crypt Willisi - Cryptocoryne willisi

ANUBIAS
Anubias barteri - Anubias barteri v. barteri
Anubias barteri 'marble' - Anubias barteri 'marble'
Anubias barteri v. 'glabra' - Anubias barteri v. 'glabra'
Anubias nana - Anubias barteri v. 'nana'
Coffee leaf anubias - Anubias barteri v. 'coffeefolia'
Golden nana - Anubias barteri v. 'nana golden'
Narrow leaf nana - Anubias barteri v. 'nana narrow leaf'
Petite nana - Anubias barteri v. nana 'petite'

SWORD PLANTS
Tropica Sword - Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'
Amazon Sword - Echinodorus amazonicus
Melon Sword - Echinodorus osiris
Ruffle Sword - Echinodorus major
Pygmy Chain Sword - Echnodorus tennelus
Uruguay Amazon Sword - Echinodorus uruguayensis
Red Flame Sword - Echinodorus 'Red Special'

LILY'S
Lotus- Nymphaea pubescens
Red Lotus - Nymphaea zenkeri 'red'

GRASSES
Vallisneria natans
Water Celery- Vallisneria americana
Vallisneria asiatica
Corkscrew Val - Vallisneria tortifolia
Valliseneria rubra
Dwarf Sag- Sagittaria subulata
Crinum calimistratum
Onion Plant - Crinum thaianum
Micro Sword - Lilaeopsis braziliensis

APONOGETONS
Aponogeton bouvianus
Aponogeton crispus
Aponogeton elongatus
Aponogeton ulvaceous
Aponogeton undulatus

CLOVERS
Marsilea hirsuta
Water Clover - Mariselia minuta

Which catfish are you intending to keep?

Can you describe your PVC network?

I've seen many (pleco) tanks with open pipework - with it buried I'd be concerned about water movement through the pipes (I suppose fish travel will refresh the water but I'm hesitant to depend on this), also wondering if a large adult might get "stuck" at the corner ... but these are just random thoughts, I've done no research on the topic
(have had S petricole jam themselves up the filter intake tube - I'd removed the guard for rinsing .. so all of 30-60 sec .. found the poor sod's remains on the next water change :( )

I've seen many (pleco) tanks with open pipework - with it buried I'd be concerned about water movement through the pipes (I suppose fish travel will refresh the water but I'm hesitant to depend on this), also wondering if a large adult might get "stuck" at the corner ... but these are just random thoughts, I've done no research on the topic.

Well, I couldn't find much information either despite doing a fair bit of searching. I elected to make all the pipework into tunnels (rather than caves) to reduce the issue of dead water. I'll also be flushing them out each week when I do water changes to remove any build up of detritus. Will have to see how it goes. Hopefully my BNs will be smart enough not to attempt the 90deg bends if they are too large. From what I've read they probably won't actually traverse the tunnels anyway. They'll just treat the entrances as caves.

(have had S petricole jam themselves up the filter intake tube - I'd removed the guard for rinsing .. so all of 30-60 sec .. found the poor sod's remains on the next water change :( )

Gutted. Synodontis petricola are a beautiful fish. I seriously considered them instead of BNs until I found out that they do best when there's a minimum of 4 in a tank and such a group would set me back more than 50 quid.

Last edited:
Back