• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

hydor external heater malfunction

a1Matt

My hydor eth300 malfunctioned today and cooked my tank.
The dial was not knocked at all.

It took 50l of cold water and a bag of ice to get things to normal.

The tank is so densely planted, and with dark water at the moment (blackwater conditions) that I can not fully assess the damage. I can see at a glance that I've lost a lot of CRS though.

I will not be recommending Hydor external heaters :twisted:

currently running two of them on my 450L makes me a bit worried!
better get the ice in the freezer now...... :lol:

sorry for your losses mate. i remember when i lost 5 SS+ grade CRS's due to mental hot temps.

Ajm200 said:
That's awful. Hope the losses are restricted to a few fish.

Hopefully no fish!
Just CRS that I can see.
Thankfully I was in tonight, I can imagine I would have lost every thing had the Hydor stayed on overnight.

I lost a whole tank to a malfunctioning heater during that really hot summer in 2006. Water was extremely hot when I found it. Had cooked all the fish. You are so lucky to have spotted it.

I had the same. Cooked a tank that I'd only just set up. Killed everything still not got a replacement from hydor despite them promising me one.

That really is harsh ajm.

...and I remember your incident well Gareth. I actually thought of you the second I realised it was the heater at fault!

I'm not even going to bother calling Hydor. If they sent me a replacement I would not trust it anyway. £150 to replace the CRS would be nice, but we all know that is not going to happen! :lol:

I remember that too :(
Was nice how everyone clubbed together and sent you replacement plants though :thumbup:

Everyone feel free to send me any spare SSS CRS you have :lol: (mine were barely even graded shrimp by the way :lol: )

whoops!
I've just looked at a grading guide and I reckon they were a mix of grade A and B's.

Back