• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hygrophila polysperma; small leaves??

mark4785

I recently purchased a set of Hygrophila polysperma plants which had some very broad leaves on them. Once planted in my tank they continued to grow but the stalk is slightly smaller and the leaves are very small and almost folding in on themselves! The entire aquarium is algae free and all plants have full chlorophyll so I know that I must be doing something right but something is causing this particular plant to grow much more smaller leaves.

My aquarium moss has been tied to bog wood for several months and although green and vibrant, it isn't covering the bog wood to the point that I can't see the wood.

I think that there must be some issue in the tank that is causing either slow growth and/or small leaf growth.

Tank details:

Capacity: 120 litres
co2: Yes
Fertiliser: yes; following an EI dosage schedule
Lighting: 2 x 24w t5 HO PowerGlo fluorescent tubes mainly giving off high red kelvin. Entire surface has Amazon Frogbit floating on it preventing all the light getting to the planted plants.

I will try and get a picture at some point of the tank.

Any ideas??

Good chance that the Hygro has been grown emersed, and it is now adjusting to the conditions within your tank, and the fact it is now submerged?
Polysperma is a fairly undemanding plant, so with the addition of Co2, Ei dosing, and with lighting near on 1.8wpg I think your conditions should be fine.

This was one of the very first plants I brought. It has been with me throughout my tanks life, and my steep learning curve. It survived to tell the tale of life in my tank with no ferts, no Co2, Inert sand substrate, non existing flow, and at times a single T8 tube over 180ltr. :geek:

What is the flow like in your tank? Is it sufficiently reaching the plant?

The flow is quite good in that all of the leaves throughout the tank move to some degree in response to the flow. The water flow is going from right to left with the aid of 2 powerheads pointing leftwards. The co2 is diffused below the two powerheads and the liquid ferts are dropped in above the powerheads so just about everything is consistently dispersed leftwards.

Are there any alternative plants to hygrophila polysperma that are easier to grow in low light conditions?

Back