I hate shimmer, is there hope for me

Hufsa

My new LED aquarium lights arrived today and I discovered that I hate shimmer. Like really hate it. I can hardly focus on anything in the tank with all the shimmering. Sounds a bit dramatic I'm sure but thats how it feels. I dont think I will get used to this :(

Does this mean I should get T8/T5 lighting for my tank instead? Or are there LEDs that dont have shimmer?
Very bummed about this whole thing :(

Hufsa

It is two of these LED light bars. Aqualight is the brand, not a very big brand it seems, I had never heard of it.
Worth noting maybe that I have surface ripples on most of the tank surface because of the spray bar mounted to the back wall.

52532_Akvarieboden_As_Led_50cm_ip68_6500k_10w_2.jpg

X3NiTH

Multiple point sources of bright light and lots of surface ripple gives you more disco caustics. Get some Frosting Film and cut to size and affix over the LEDs to diffuse the point sources of light, it reduces the shimmer greatly.

Hufsa

I tried out a bit of baking paper as a diffuser right now just to see. It did reduce the shimmer quite a bit, but it still hurts to look at :sour:
Its the same kind of pain that you get when you watch things that trigger epilepsy o_O

Hufsa

Quick update to this thread, I ended up buying the Fluval 3.0 LED and found the shimmer levels of this unit to be minimal enough that I could get used to it :)