• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ian's 80cm (Chocolate gourami!)

I found that they did not bother blue pearls, but hunted CRS. I figure it is to do with the brighter colours. Or, it could be that I had more of the blue pearls, so did not notice if the odd one was knocked off.

I did not see the babies (I just saw the distended jaw while they were brooding) as I went on a winter holiday and all the fish were dead when I got back 3 weeks later. I made the mistake of putting my central heating on holiday mode while I was away, and the tanks heater could not maintain the tanks temp when the house was near freezing. Live and learn.

They are my favourite of all the fish I have kept to date (25 or so years), like you say they have amazing character.

Thanks Westy! They are well worth it for the entertainment value.

I may have to invest in some darker shrimp Matt, thanks for the heads up, i see Tony @ Planted Tanks has some cheap different shrimp in at the moment. Thats a shame about them, time to get some more then??

I was tempted to get some more, but had enough of maintaning blackwater parameters (I've got hard tap water, so had to make up RO + my hardwater crypts never thrived). Instead I opted for some sparkling gouramis. At first I thought they did not have much personality, but after a month or so the males have now coloured up and started displaying this week. Now I'm loving them. Lots of croaking. I'll post the vid in another thread so as not to go too far OT.

Back