• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ians Aqua oak 350

Ian_lawton

After spending a few weeks checking out other peoples tanks on the forums i though i might aswell start speaking up :) first of all i must say my tank is nowhere near anybody on here but i have found great inspiration from peoples work and creativity on this site! Before i start sorry about any of the photos if they are poor quality, i hope to have my DSLR back soon!

First up the tank..

Its is a 350Ltr Aqua Oak from Maidenhead, Bought it second hand so the glass is slightly more scratched than i would have liked :(
DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_4576.jpg

I have recently put two spray bars running the length of the back glass in (half way each)i did this in a bit of a rush i was going to order some acrylic tube and make them myself and also see if i could continue them out of the tank via a shepherds hook all in one but i shall maybe have a go at this later in the summer :)
DSC_0156.jpg

powering one of the spray bars is this HUGE filter, again bought of the internet and i did not actually realise how big it would be until it arrived!

DSC_4619.jpg

The other is powered by a less impressive APS filter, this also runs through my UV Steriliser but I am not sure if this is even worth been on? I've not noticed a massive difference.Also at the same side my Co2 is hiding in that cupboard its a JBL unit with a solenoid coming on 2 hours before light and going off two hours before the lights.

DSC_0045.jpg

The lights i have above the tank are 4x t5 tubes 2x Jewel High Colour 45W and 2x Plant Pro arcadia tubes I dont know if this is a bit of overkill??
i also have very faint blue LED's for moonlighting :)

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

and two tiny power heads either end of the tank, these where put in for somewhere for my mountain shrimp to feed from they are often found sat in the flow :)
I shall try to get a picture of these with a better camera :)

the substrate i used in this tank is JBL malnado? it is not a product i will be using again as i don't think it has any benefits over say gravel IMO, maybe ive used it wrong but it does have the JBL soil underneath also, just not had any good results from it, i tried to cover it with tiny black pebbles but that in turn turned into a disaster and now they have mixed so i am open to ideas on a dark substrate ?

What i am hoping to get my tank to look like is a comb of the following 3 scapes as they are my favourite ones that dont look too hard to achieve.

Jeff-Discus-Tank.jpg
Riverbank_planted_aquarium.jpg
16_1aquarium_red_discus_fishtank.jpg

Any help or constructive criticism is appreciated in this thread but please don't be overly harsh just for the sake of it :)

Thanks For taking time to look :) and i hope that this becomes an interesting read later down the line :)

Massive piece of wood got cut in half over the weekend, fancied a bit of a change around, more swimming space now but it still has the same amount of wood in
a2ahasah.jpg

Forgot to say they are curipera discus from punchard discus! Really nice stock just hope they grow as beautiful as there parents

Ian this is looking good. Scope for it to really go places. And I agree with what someone said, don't do yourself down. :) Those Oak tanks are lovely. I notice you mentioned the glass was more scratched than you would like. You could always consider having a new tank part made. OR just having the front pane replaced either with normal glass or optiwhite. It would not need to cost an arm and a leg. Just a thought for the future :) Keep up the good work.

Back