• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ich/white spot??

AceCreamSoda

Hi

I have diagnosed my cardinals and rummynose with ich or white spot; I have a hunch that it was brought in with the boesman rainbows from my lfs (sigh...)

315zjw2.jpg

Anyway, I have been treating with Protozim for 2 days, have been slowly raising the temperature, and was considering using some tonic salt for a salt dip.

Is there anything else I should do? Thanks

had the same all cardinals were having white salt grain like spots. I raised the temp (from 20ish to 24) while waiting the meds I order to arrive. was worried that meds would kill the rcs and amano shrimp though.

couple of days later the ich went away - never dosed the purchased meds. o_O

good luck!

I recently had a outbreak of white spot, it is gone now but i dis take drastic measures just to be safe. Removed the shrimps to my quarantine tank and raised water temps to 28C to speed up the parasite lifecycle. I treated the tank with a Pond Treatment which worked to great success I'm not at home currently so will update with the name of the product later.

Id steer clear of the salt in the tank because some plants will not like that at all, salt bath for the fish maybe a last resort but that imho just adds additional stress to the fish which they can do without at this stage!

You need to keep a beady eye on the fish because the lifecycle can lead you into a false sense of security.

Also after treatment you need to ensure the system is free of coper based meds as the shrimps will not like that. I ran my system with carbon, and refreshed it once every two weeks. And did larger than normal water changes and then slowly re-introduced the shrimps two at a time over a week period just to be safe!!

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! That did help a lot :) I read somewhere that, to reduce the number of free floating ich parasites and in the gravel, I should do a 30% water change and gravel clean everyday until it clears. I'm just wary that it might also stress put the fish and reduce the effectiveness of the meds.

Great new guys :D Most of the white spot from my fish is gone! Only a few are still affected instead of a whole school of cardinals and rummynose. After treating with Protozin and doing regular water changes and gravel cleans, I think it's safe to say that the ich is going away :)

Back