• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

ID?!

ScottYalloP

i was cleaning out the shrimp tank today and came across this :
sdc10862gm.jpg

sdc10861d.jpg

i have no idea what this is, also it can move and i suppose live out the water.
Anyideas?!

mjenner

I "think" it might be some kind of dragon-fly or caddis-fly larva. (not an expert here).

I base this on seeing similar beasts when in my early years I identified similar creatures whilst dipping in ponds when I was at school. I actually found something similar last year when I got my plants into my tank, the creature had made a little tunnel nest out of bits of plant and was sitting at the water's surface in the plants in the tube it'd attached to the plants. When I got it out when pruning the plants the little guy legged it, it was pretty vicious looking and I think when they get larger they can sometimes predate on small fish.

I "think" they do breathe air, through their tail I think (but I'm pretty fuzzy on if this is right) so I'd imagine it'd survive for a little while out of the water, but I don't think it'd live for too long out of the tank as it'd probably dry-out.

I'd ask for a second opinion but I guess it gives you a little more to google on?

Hope that helps,

Matt

ScottYalloP

there were 2 of them i managed to get one but not the other, they didn't seem to bother the shrimp at all.

ScottYalloP

stuworrall said:
take off and nuke it from orbit... its the only way to be sure :geek:

Sounds like a plan Dam i cant find the other 1 ! :woot:

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Themuleous said:
Don't think its dragonfly, abdomen isn't flat or large enough.
Sam
I still wouldn't be happy with it in my tank, to be safe better to get rid of them ;)