• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IKEA LED Strips

bigmatt

Has anyone seen these in the flesh?
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00119419
Thinking about lighting for my 12" Acrylic cubes (see signature) and was wondering about fabricating my own minimalist lighting to complement the cube.
Initially they'll be running low-tech (Java fern, mosses, anubia kinda thing) until i can stretch to another CO2 setup but having not seen them in operaiton i don't know if these strips will be powerful enough even for that!
Be interested to know your thoughts as always!
Matt

you can buy flexible waterproof leds alot cheaper on ebay I have a blue set for a moonlight effect

I've seen them in the flesh and didn't think much to them, the light is extremely blue. Oliver knott was using ikea led desk lights on one of his tiny tanks and seemed to have good results growing moss and crypts, I don't know if they'd be any good for the more "high light" type plants though.
I'll try and find the lights he used for you now.

I bought the round ones (same price here in Malaysia) and stuck it into my tank. I placed it above a bunch of Rotala rotundifolia sp Green and Didiplis diandra later on. Can't say it did anything extra. My tank is quite tall though, about 20 inches from the lights to the substrate.

DSC07590.jpg

Whilst i'm not going to be growing anything too demanding i think i might have a bit of play with Halogens, as the general theme seems to be that i'm not going to get adequate penetration at 12" (fnar fnar...) with LEDs. Homebase have some cheap clip ons that'll do to start with, but i think a clear acrylic luminaire (with wiring visible) and a couple of bathroom Halogens may well look the bees knees, the mutts nuts and the best parts of several other animals as well!
Thanks for the feedback folks - really helpful as always!
Matt

You could use LED bulbs in a halogen body, that would be the best of both worlds.

Back