• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I'm back! :)

krazypara3165

Howdy everyone. it has been a while since I have been on here due to a deployment and a house move and its about time I got my display tank back on track.

So this is how it looked a few months back
20130205_122411_zpsfd40dabe.jpg

I'll post a recent picture tonight when I get in but for now I'm after advice......

If I stay with low tech (running two t5 bulbs 10in above the water 6 hours a day) im still getting a touch of algae. would this be due to lack of ferts as I do a 50% change every other day?

and what plants would thrive in 30 degree heat...... there does not seem to be many.

And as you are probably aware my 'scaping skills are dire at best does anyone have any tips for this sort of setup?

finally I have a full co2 setup rigged up but I was having difficulties getting the right balance, and when it was right my discus struggled. has anyone had a good planted high tech tank with discus?

I know its a fair few questions but I had a lot to ask!

Craig.

I think more plants than we think can survive 30 degrees. But everything else needs to be in good condition off course. Here is the tropica site with heat tolerant plants (can handle even fire as the name implies to me:p)

But you do have tank-bred discus. 28 degree is more than enough IME with tank-bred discus. Even 26 for a long period didn't show any problems. The only thing you need to keep in mind with lower temperatures is that beef heart is not wel digested, so don't feed it too often or not at all!

cheers everyone!

so here is the tank as it stands, as you can see the discus are coming along nicely! down to four now as 2 are in a breeding tank and i sadly lost two earlier on in the year.

20130924_202809_zpscba4475b.jpg

as you can see ive just thrown in plants and seen what has grown but i could do with a huge lesson in aqua scaping lol

Hello, good to see you back, discus are looking good. Big discus fan here, won't be getting anymore myself though.:)

Cheers, Now that the breeding pair have their own tank I am going to have a bit of a change. going to drop the temp down to 27/28 degrees and im playing with the idea of running co2 again. going to ditch the wood I have and start looking for some new wood and im browsing the list of high heat plants from the tropica website. the only problem i have at the moment is I wouldnt know which plants would look best or how to sort out a layout....

When I last did my plants I wrapped some line around each plant with a fishing weight to hold them down. I then tied a length of line up out of the tank from the plant . This way I could move them around over days without planting and up rooting. You can sit on a chair infront of tank and move then around without getting wet. When decided I cut the line off then plant. You could use nuts bolts and cotton if you have no weights or line.:)

Back