• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I'm new here, so decided to introduce myself

ziejek

Just wanted to say hello. This is my newest tank, 57l Fluval flex for badis, pygmy sunfish and clown killifish. Can't really see them but there's 16 fish in there. Home made spray bar to ease on water current, seen on the right
IMG_20230504_192519.jpg
IMG_20230430_194243.jpg

Waiting for critisism and opinions what I've done right and wrong ;)

Last edited:
Nice tank 😃
The stones are really cool, what kind are they?
Red sandstone, collected locally. Scotland really has a lot to offer when it comes to stones

Hi all,

Yes, that one is a <"Dracaena"> (or <"Cordyline fruticosa">), and needs to be removed. There are loads of threads on UKAPS about <"non-aquatic plants sold for fish tanks">, and it <"really, really p*sses me off">.

Cheers Darrel
Thanks, I was suspicious about it from the get go, my lfs didnt even know the name of it as they received it as a bunch of plants as a whole. It just suited the theme, that was red plants for the tank and was only 2.50. Goes out right away

Nice tank 😃
The stones are really cool, what kind are they?

Well that depends, do you want some suggestions, or do you prefer to just share a nice photo? 😊 Both are equally valid :thumbup:
Sharing nice photo is always nice, I have multiple tanks but decided to share the newest. This is for tiniest fish that couldn't go in the community tank, also require special feeding and peace.

You've done right by giving it a go and sharing it with us! Keep us posted and enjoy. :D
The way I see it is like, yeah, fish are great but I can't have just a one tank to suit it all. Too many options. Having multiple tanks for different fish makes more sense. Having them decorated for specific fish, different water parameters reqs. etc. I kinda want to have it all, (jokes)

Hi all,
Thanks, I was suspicious about it from the get go, my lfs didnt even know the name of it as they received it as a bunch of plants as a whole. It just suited the theme, that was red plants for the tank and was only 2.50. Goes out right away
They are good houseplant. Some-one may be able to suggest a small red plant replacement for you.

Cheers Darrel

Welcome!

You can always try replacing with Lagenandra Meeboldii Red it’s a nearly similar looking plant in shape. If it were me though I’d swap it out for some Bucephalandra, either Theia variety or Lamandau are fairly easy to obtain.

:)

Hi all,

They are good houseplant. Some-one may be able to suggest a small red plant replacement for you.

Cheers Darrel
We all learn through mistakes. I've started a wee moss jar but poped 4 dates seeds in, reading they would take 6+ months to germinate if at all. To my surprise 2 of them started within two months. Now I have big jar with small opening and two palms growing out of it. As for the tank, I've tried couple of different plants just to see what grows, this one should really do better on the window sill, thanks to yous.

Welcome!

You can always try replacing with Lagenandra Meeboldii Red it’s a nearly similar looking plant in shape. If it were me though I’d swap it out for some Bucephalandra, either Theia variety or Lamandau are fairly easy to obtain.

:)
I like that, good call. I just wanted some mid plant that doesn't grow too tall. Tank is small enough already but badis love hiding in it. i'll see if I can find it on ebay

I like your aquarium, looks good .It's a problem shops selling houseplants for aquariums . I always think if you use UKAPS sponsors you can't go wrong,
Welcome to UKAPS🙂

I like your aquarium, looks good .It's a problem shops selling houseplants for aquariums . I always think if you use UKAPS sponsors you can't go wrong,
Welcome to UKAPS🙂
It was a test anyway with that plant. I always notice that plants dont grow the same way in different tanks.
For example here, I can't get a valisneria grow in it at all. Lotus is after heavy trimming, probably about 20 leaves as it was shadowing most of the tank
IMG_20230429_213238.jpg

Last edited:
I know vallis prefers hard water but it grew easily previous in my soft water, but last time l tried it it didn't do well,Still a mystery

I know vallis prefers hard water but it grew easily previous in my soft water, but last time l tried it it didn't do well,Still a mystery
My Java Fern started getting freckles straight away after putting it in the tank.

Quite a few folk have had a similar experience, including me. It’s very strange, it’s almost as though vallis has forgotten how to grow in an aquarium. Probably because very few try to grow it these days. It’s a much maligned and underrated plant. Maybe it’s playing hard to get as a result.

It used to be that it’d thrive and take over in most tanks regardless of parameters. Perhaps there’s a critical mass of vallis required in our tanks before it will grow properly. Something to do with morphic resonance 🙂 Same could possibly be said of other "difficult" plants. Once someone manages to grow them successfully they become easier to grow for others.

Perhaps there’s a critical mass of vallis required in our tanks before it will grow properly. Something to do with morphic resonance 🙂
I have a patch of vallis that perodically takes over my tank and then I hack it back to bare minimum and I will say I seem to notice it grows faster when there's more of it. At the moment it's the smallest patch I've ever had in this tank and it's not invading the rest of the tank like it used to. So I'd add a second anecdata to the morphic resonance hypothesis.

Back