• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I'm terrible at this

Hey guys,

So would I be able to turn of co2 supply without a solenoid ? And IV heard its worth buying a dual stage to prevent end of tank dump buy the fe?

Have already used there website, and tbh buying everything at once when I have the money is my best option, also found that I cannot get the fe refilled locally, so maybe I get all the gravel a shed loads of plants run liquid co2 as its easily sourced, and tbh getting my fish in the tank adapt, as I want to iwaguni my ten gal lol

Here is a list of plants im looking to add, I'm going to cover the whole bloody tank in plants, I have two pieces of Maponi that are small compared to the big bit in my 55g,

Right so far I have
Hygro poly
Hygro any
Mini Java fern as I felt it will ad depth and can attach it to the small mop and I have
Alteranthers rosaefolia
Crypt parva
Hydrocotyle sp."Japan
Staurogyne rubescens
Micranthemum Umbrosum
Bacop compacta
I think that's a good mixture of low mid and high plants, plus I have a big crypt and other plants in my ten gallon that I can move over, I will swap out the gravel for black, as it will help me hold plants, I have 3-6mm Dorset atm I hate it, will also black film the back, the list above I will order when I order black gravel, I will go lfs next week and buy some plants too, I think I'm going to go mad mix of plants lol, I will add flame moss to my big Maponi, so the Galaxy rasbora will still have a little home

Any more plants suggestions welcome

patients
patients
patients
keep the lights low and save for all your equipment
lots of members on here dont have a dual stage reg and never have a problem with eotd, that doesnt mean it wont happen though and a dual stage is peace of mind. i would start with flow, cheap powerheads can be very good at distributing co2 and nutrients, my mate used to use one like you have in your tank with a diy spraybar, worked very well but just a little ugly(will soon be hidden by the jungle)
personally I would hold off on buying too many plants until you have all the equipment you need. now is a good time to start an emersed nursery on your window cill to rapidly increase your plant mass( theres a link in my signature that will show you how to get started and I'm sure members will send you a few cuttings to get you going) all this can be done while saving for your equipment.
I know you want a beautiful tank full of healthy plants but ramming a load of expensive plants into a tank without all the right equipment is just a waste of money imo.
once again patients we've all been there and many of us have wasted a fortune buying plants then killing them
and good look:)

^^^^^patients ? :nurse:
Sorry, couldn't resist.Never thought i'd get to use this smiley.

Read this ?
co2 refills #57 got bored of looking after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: tim
Hey clown and stu

Decided that I can maybe afford co2 setup and gravel, with a little budget with plants

But now, I can afford all of it, I rung a company locally to me, they said I turn up take two 2kg extingushers, that are out of date, all I do is bring them back empty so they can still get scrape price, and they will hand me back full ones again, all they want is a round of drinks, SMASHED IT. So now for my 170 pound budget I can get a co2art co2 setup, my black gravel (have to get this as my gravel is to big and its a pain to hold down smaller plants, plus my Galaxy rasboras prefer darker substrate) and that plant list above, and I think a 2kg will last a good few months

Result

patients
patients
patients
keep the lights low and save for all your equipment
lots of members on here dont have a dual stage reg and never have a problem with eotd, that doesnt mean it wont happen though and a dual stage is peace of mind. i would start with flow, cheap powerheads can be very good at distributing co2 and nutrients, my mate used to use one like you have in your tank with a diy spraybar, worked very well but just a little ugly(will soon be hidden by the jungle)
personally I would hold off on buying too many plants until you have all the equipment you need. now is a good time to start an emersed nursery on your window cill to rapidly increase your plant mass( theres a link in my signature that will show you how to get started and I'm sure members will send you a few cuttings to get you going) all this can be done while saving for your equipment.
I know you want a beautiful tank full of healthy plants but ramming a load of expensive plants into a tank without all the right equipment is just a waste of money imo.
once again patients we've all been there and many of us have wasted a fortune buying plants then killing them
and good look:)

Hey there bc I did try a diy spray bar but it didn't even work, what would you suggest I do regarding the juwel filter flow, I have it at a 45/ angle pointing towards surfice, I have a little ripples, where should I put the power head, I was thinking front left pointing right, or a spray bar along left Side pointing to the right?

not sure on the juwel filter outlet all I can say is make sure both outlets are pointing the same direction ,working with each other rather than cancelling each other out. how many lph is the power head. I'll try get a short clip of my surface movement uploaded later to give you an idea of how much. surface movement is another part of co2 setup and each tank is different, some tanks have quite a lot of movement while others, like my friends and ADA tanks have next to none.
mainly depending on what type of surface film you have, if its oily I find more surface movement is needed but if its white then I've found that more nutrients are required. in both cases it needs balancing with more or less co2.
when you get your co2 gear sorted feel free to ask questions either here or in a pm

I have to have ripples or I get bio film on surface, I learnt that from my 10g, on my 55g I have ripples, not a lot mind , not enough to make bubbles, but enough to see ripples

And the powerhead is a 1000lph all pond solutions I have no idea where to put it, I am very limted with the juwel pump, I want a spray bar along the back, but that means a new filter, that's my next big investment, and tbh the juwel filter works a dream, so not looking to replace anytime soon, maybe when the current soil gets depleted I'll tear down and rescaoe, and change filter

So where can I position the powerhead

My options in the juwel are a 45' angle towards water surface (glass, and into the tank, or straight along the back,witch gives a circular motion in the tank

another option would be to add a spraybar to both the filter and the power head both full length across the back of the tank the key to this would be not to have too many holes in both spraybars then you will get fairly good exit velocity from both spraybars. I'll dig out the link to dans tank then you can see his arrangement which works quite well ant its a serious jungle in there at the moment

I have tried everything matey

The juwel just back pushes through the motor housing when anything is added, I have two weeks to get flow sorted tbh, and I do have a question regarding co2 setups I'll pm you instead of over filling the threat

:)

I

I like your plant list! :thumbup: Don't be afraid to lose some along the way, just try different stuff.

Looks great so far, stick at it! Should come together nicely when you add Co2

it currently no longer looks like this, I removed the big eood as it was causing flow issues,(shitty juwel filter)
Also had major nute def in all plants, due to them not rooting very well in the large sized gravel I have, so I cut out half the gravel retainer from one side and planted everything straight into soil, so basically the tank looks a mess, IV got pre boiled wood and clay pots on the right and loads of plants on the left, but hey ho, tearing down and starting again next weekend so just waiting till then

Ghosty

Back